The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2324 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/27/06
I really liked this, especially with the added footnote. I happen to love purple.
04/27/06
Wow! Winner!
04/27/06
Wow -powerful, creative and well done -as always :) I could really feel the frustration.
04/27/06
Okay..so I am thick maybe..but I had a hard time getting it...I will be sure to read it again.(It is probably me!) What I did notice is that you maybe could show more than tell some of the action. My not getting it could also be because of the setting and all but otherwise it flowed nicely and was well written.
04/28/06
This is well-written, but I didn't get it until the footnote. Then it all made sense - and my initial confusion made your point even more poignant. Well done!
04/28/06
I'm with the minority...I don't understand it; but I was interested, not bored. So, Just keeping your Reader interested until the end is a talent in itself. THe Writer can't help it if the Reader is dense. (smile)
04/29/06
Way out there on the creative scale! This is one of those pieces that is either a home run or a strike out, depending on the reader. The feeling of seperation, confusion, and frustration were clearly established. Good work there. But the scene needed to be refined more fully. We were in this crazy, strange land and barely got to glimpse it at all. Also, her reaction to the one person who could speak English was puzzling. But aside from that, the writing itself was bold and carried a great message. Welcome to outside the box! lol! ;-)
I'm so proud! I got it - muahahahahah! Before even reading the footnotes. VERY creative! I liked this!
04/29/06
ok ... this is like an acid drop! woah! Have no clue what this is about ... but it's quite a read!
04/29/06
I amm one of those that needed the the footnote! You covered the confusion and the lonliness well - but I think they should have been perhaps a little bit more fear too. It had a very dream-like quality about it.
04/29/06
I love it too ... and am one that really was helped by the footnote.

Well done!
04/29/06
Very cool, very cool. I love creative stories like this.
04/30/06
I'm proud of you for taking a risk. Very out-of-the-box. Certainly draws the reader in and gets people talking. I couldn never have possibly gotten it without the footnote. Would have just thought it was some weird sci-fi thing. Creative for sure and pretty well-written.
05/01/06
Put me in the group of people who a) loved this, and b) was grateful for the footnotes. They gave me an aha! moment, and aha! moments are great fun.
05/02/06
Way to go Kiddo.. another winner in my book.. and others from the look of things. ;)
05/02/06
You have an amazing imagination - always entertaining! Great writing!
Extraordinary. You captured the isolation the deaf feel and communicated it to the hearing in a way we can understand. I really love everything about it. Great work.
I love the way you capture the isolation that deaf people must feel. A very powerful message, and compellingly written. I wonder if more people would get the message if there were more markers that what they were reading was an allogory? (Not having ever written one, I'm not sure what those would be, however.) Also, even with your explanation there are still elements of this "parable" which I don't understand. For example, what is the woman drawing from the lake? Why does she ignore her, and then show that she is noticing her? I think for an allogory to really work all the significant elements have to have some kind of parallel in the real world. Anyway, I repeat, interesting, compelling writing. Thought provoking too.