The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 736 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
09/05/14
Powerful in content and delivery. Well done.

God bless~
09/08/14
Love how you captured the changing attitude of your MC - very expressive language.

May just be me, but I felt like your first couple paragraphs especially were a bit heavy on the adjectives. Might consider trimming a couple.

Thanks so much for this - it is touching and beautiful!
09/11/14
Congrats on your ranking an HR. I certainly do not envy the judges. Your writing is marvelous.
This is a lovely piece. You did a wonderful job of making me feel the conflict between the mother and daughter right in the first paragraph. I could almost feel the tension ooze off the screen.

It may just be me or the limit of the count, but I struggled with connecting the blanket to the rest of the story. I get that Lydia likes order and a matching color scheme, but I felt like I missed something when they started crying.

Other than that tiny bit that lasted all of a few seconds, you did a great job of showing the story. I also liked the name of the MC--it's the same as my younger daughter's. You nailed the topic in a clever and fresh way. I truly enjoyed the story of the cracked cup. May we never forget lest we repeat the past. Congratulations on your EC! Happy Dance!
I read it again, and picked up even more delightful details and the blanket being used as a kind of peace offering made more sense to me. I also saw in the ending, when Lydia wrapped the shabby blanket around her mom, a sense of acceptance for Who Mom is, cracked cup, worn blanket, and all. This is a lovely lesson and definitely a reminder I need more often than I care to admit. Again congratulations and thank you for blessing me with such a powerful read.
09/12/14
Your lavishly descriptive piece was a great representation of how conflicts in family relationships are sometimes very shallow until one member in the equation humbles themself.