The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 964 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Oh you did a great job on this. I had vivid pictures flashing through my head. I did notice a tiny POV shift in the middle when you went from the classroom's teacher's day to Julia loving her students. If POV shifts weren't a focus in my own work, I never would have noticed it. I thought the ending was brilliant and it left me with a hearty chuckle. You did a nice job of incorporating the topic by showing the internal whining of the one teacher and the "wine" in the last sentence brought it home.
05/31/13
Fun, and so entertaining! I loved this whole piece, and especially the last line! So good...so very good.

God bless~
06/01/13
This is a great story. It has heart and reality rolled into one. Good writing.
I love Toby, but I love Julia even more. She's the kind of teacher that makes the word "teacher" so special. You did a great job with description and with characterization--obviously.
06/05/13
Thank you for inviting us to meet Toby, whom you have described with such gentle accuracy. The picture you have given us is so true to life, and reminded me of when my wife, who also taught special needs children.
She asked them to write on the topic "My Pet Hates."
One boy came in from left field with, "My pet is a dog. He hates it when ....."
06/06/13
What a lovely story. I guess you have personal experience of these kids. My 10 year old autistic grandson would get on well with Toby and has a one-on-one teacher as saintly as Julie. Thank you for a beautiful window into this world.
Congratulations on ranking 19th overall!