The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1345 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
A sobering reminder of both sides of freedom. Sometimes we forget how it is for those brave men and women serving while we are watching fireworks. The conversation between Cheryl and Blake was heart-wrenching. Thanks for sharing.
07/19/11
Thanks for sharing this. We do forget what is happening in other parts of the world, for sure, and what happened in the past for the freedoms we enjoy now.
07/19/11
Cat, thanks for sharing this. I too had not thought of how fireworks might be conceived by those who have served in the war. With every new year I admire and respect more the sacrifices made by our military and it really hit home now that my grandson is a part of it.
I particularly enjoyed the dialogue--made the story real, like I was eavesdropping on the conversation. Good patriotic reminders here.
07/20/11
Very provocative approach in your grasp of the same noises evoking contrasting responses on different sides of the planet. Your dialogue was natural and credible, and brought everything down to earth. Excellent work.
This brought tears to my eyes.

Congratulations for placing 8th in Masters and 12 overall!
Great job, Cat. I appreciate the reminder of what our freedom cost.