The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1653 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
12/08/09
Love the history and atmosphere in this! Lovely.
12/08/09
My heavens, this cut me to the core. I felt every perfectly chosen word. Superb.
"I am sorry." Wow. Stunning. I felt every sound, word, image and you write so good, I wasn't sure she would find one more potato. I'm glad she did. God does provide, doesn't he. (So this is where the big kids write.) I think your story would make a great painting as well. Masterful.
12/09/09
forgive me. i'm still wiping tears. as a child, i remember many meals that only consisted of boiled cabbage. thank you for this blessing.
Wow! Did this ever stir up some memories. What a superb entry. I can't wait to see how high up you place with this one! Kudos!
I ended too soon with the above comment. I was a "Great Depression baby" and my sister said the only memory she had of me as a baby was of my crying because I was so hungry. Mother was too sick to nurse me, there was no money for food, Daddy had lost his job and their home. But every day God provided something to eat. Not a lot but some. And a neighbor offered to nurse me. That's why your entry meant a lot to me. God bless.
12/09/09
Excellent. Having helped many times in the potato harvesting it struck a cord in my heart, no matter how poor we were we never needed the one potato as your heroine did.Superb writing.Blessings to you, Ruth
12/10/09
Wow! Such a gripping (and palpable) story. Your creativity with the topic is excellent.
I love the way you write! Such a God-given talent. Congrats on your win!
12/10/09
This one was definitely a heart pulling one. Good writing.
12/14/09
Congratulations on your win. Such a gripping story and your descriptions so vivid, so realistic. I want the address of this family so I can send them a whole truck load of potatoes.
12/16/09
This gripping entry is one that leaves me so thankful to have never known hunger like the MC. Congrats on your placement due to your talented and gifted writing.