The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1970 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/29/09
I just love this story. Your writing seems effortless as it tells a tale with such a wonderful message. The ability you show in setting up the scene is A1. Splendid.

mona
10/31/09
I was with you from the beginning to the end of this story. I agree with the other reviewer - you do seem to be able to write well with not much effort. Now, that might cause one to be green with envy! LOL Laura
11/01/09
“If the missus wants ter make me shirts with teapots, that’s fine. If she were to make somethin’ with waltzing purple giraffes, I’d be proud to wear it. Fact be knowed, I picked out these flour sacks myself, thinkin’ the missus’d make towels.”

I absolutely love these lines.
Ah true love! You sure know how to spin a good yarn!
11/01/09
Wonderful and engaging story. Some people never recover from war, others learn what true manhood is. Great storu and excellent writing.
11/02/09
I enjoyed your interesting tale that was so very well told. Thanks.

Colin
11/02/09
I am always in awe of your storytelling. So much character..so much unforced back story woven in...all within this tiny word limit. Perfect prose, as always.
(On a complete sidenote, the second paragraph describing Herman's face made me think of ol' ferret face Frank Burns from MASH. Lol;)
Wonderful sense of place and time. Rich characterization as well. Nicely done.
11/04/09
loved your characters.
11/04/09
Delightful, Ann! I really loved the line about the arm having better things to do in France. I like this change of pace for you very much.
11/04/09
I was right there with them, holding in my own snickers and waiting for the explanation. I absolutely loved Herman, what a dear man! Great, heart warming story.
Well crafted. An excellent read from beginning to end.
Superb tale, holding my interest throughout. Really liked how you compared two differing greens together in the end.
11/05/09
What a lovely story about gratitude! Very well done.
11/05/09
Congrats, Ann! I enjoyed this, especially the ending. I grew up hearing about WWI (the great war) from my grandfather and my grandmother make clothing and bedding from the flour sacks. This took me back.