The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1914 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Clever and creative and the last two stanzas were to me, allegorical to life/living itself.
Very nice done. Great imagery, meter, rhythm and creative rhyme. A pleasure to read.
Oh, I love this:

"From palette in his stiff back pack,
He reddens cheeks and noses."

I can visualize Old Man Winter searching for the perfect red for little boys' cheeks and noses. I always loved kissing my young sons' cheeks when they came in from playing in the snow. Old Man Winter was a meticulous artist, with just the right icy blues and the silver grays and snow whites. Your poem is perfect in meter and rhyme and I wish I could see it illustrated and in a chilren's book. So beautiful in every way!!
08/20/09
This description is JUST like an Ohio winter:

He rules the world with gusty winds;
No balmy breezes blow,
For he controls the atmosphere
With crystal tears and snow.


Brrr...I can almost feel the cold now! So happy I can look out my window and warm myself back up with summer's sun. Awesome and accurate descriptions!
08/21/09
Just splendid in so many ways! Perfectly done. Paints a true picture of winter.
A winner, I'm sure.

Mona
08/21/09
You painted an accurate picture of winter with your masterfully creative poem. Great descriptions, rhyme and meter.
We must live in the same place! This is a well written poem with lots of attitude and spirit. One of my favorites so far. Stay warm in His glow.
08/23/09
It was a pleasure to read this creative poem. Well done. Linda
08/23/09
Marvelous work.
08/24/09
Wonderful!

I especially like the last two stanzas: your rhyme of aspirations/machinations, and the beautiful message in the last verse.
08/24/09
Absolutely excellent - really enjoyed this! Thanks
I'm with Marianne (see above) I love the picture of the palette! Wonderful poem and meter! Nicely done!
08/24/09
Absolutely lovely imagery and a very vivid description of the tyrant that is winter... but like all tyrants, he doesn't stand a chance against the things that really matter. Beautiful!
08/24/09
Your poetry reads so smoothly and is so…. PERFECT!! This is filled with wonderful, sophisticated, descriptive images. I'd be hard-pressed to pick out a favorite, or even ten. I LOVE THIS!!
08/25/09
It flows simply yet intricately from line to line. You are quite talented!
~Cathy~
08/26/09
Wonderful in every way. When I grow up, I want to write poetry like this!
08/27/09
I felt really shivery and cold. And I don't need that.. I'm from Canada. :)

Such a joy and blessing to read your poetry, Verna.

Congrats on your placing, dear friend!
08/27/09
Yay, Verna! Congratulations!
08/28/09
Verna, you've taken your poetry to a whole new level. Super congrats on your EC! (((hugs)))