The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1744 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/26/07
This would make a delightful teen story. It put me right back into that place of insecurity, of hopes and dreams....and disappointment. Nicely done!
07/26/07
People are full of surprises and sometimes, they aren't who you think they are at all! We don' always know the truth about what others are facing in life.
07/26/07
I wished someone had done something for Sue - her embarrassment had to be greater.
07/27/07
There were lots of layers to your story. Each of the students had something to be embarrassed about – the absence of family, the goofy cousin, the drunk father. I liked the hope presented at the end.
07/27/07
There were lots of layers to your story. Each of the students had something to be embarrassed about – the absence of family, the goofy cousin, the drunk father. I liked the hope presented at the end.
07/28/07
Love the detail and interaction in this story. There is so much here! Excellent.
The horrors of being a teen spelled out, wonderful. "You matter to me..." - broke my heart. Love it!
This is really good. I was right there at the ceremony with you. Your writing is solid and your describtions vivid (like the black and white tile floor).

I did want to hear more about Sue and her father. I felt I was missing something. It's the curse of 750 word limit.
07/29/07
Oooh, very good! You did a great job of telling us entire back stories in just a few words--we know these three teens, and care about them in such a short time. Excellent wordsmithing!
07/30/07
Now, regardless how you feel about it, I really loved this. Great job and yes MASTERFUL! God bless.
Embarrasment abounded in many forms here and they all seemed so real. Great job showing how that feeling can flow in each of us no matter the pecking order our peers have placed us in.
Oh how I loved your ending! I'm a sap for happy endings. I definitely felt the embarrassment (for different reasons) of each graduate. Great story.
07/31/07
I loved this story, for many reasons, but so glad you told the story from the student's pov about an alcoholic dad. I almost wrote one but it was too painful still. This is a keeper and winner in my book!
Excellent story. Embarrassment on every level. When you write of teenagers and embarrassment, we all seem to relate. I think this is a wonderfully descriptive story that covers so many areas that it begs to tell more. Good job.
Didn't see that twist coming with his 'goofy cousin'. Good job, and what a surprise to see the differences between the trio. ^_^
08/01/07
This is very good. I want to know more about the three graduates -- what came before, what comes after. Your writing gets me so interested in your characters. Great job.