The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2023 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/16/07
Yeah, this was one of those that stops you in your tracks and puts you in the child's place. Good work.
02/16/07
This happens more than we know. The desire for a child to please - to try and do something that would start a spark of love. You did an excellent job capturing the voice of this desperate little girl. Packed with the hope of a child. Well done.
02/19/07
This packed a powerful punch. I ached for the girl. Wow.
02/19/07
So sad ... so poignant ... beautifully written.
You captured well a child's attempt to draw her mother's love. So sad. Yet, so true.
02/21/07
Poor, baby girl:(
A very well written, crisp, sad story. Great job. God bless.
02/21/07
So sad. I just wanted to hug Lissy. I can so relate to the way she felt. Very well done. Thanks for sharing this
02/21/07
My heart so aches for this sweet, little child. As a mother it saddens my soul. Your entry is concise and well-crafted. Nothing unnecessary but everything that's required for a great story! Blessings, Jo
02/21/07
Every word, including the title, precisely right. I don't know if you considered making the longer, but I'm glad you kept it short--just like a breath, a tiny moment, and we know everything that is important to know about this precious child. Perfect.
You crammed a lot of punch into a few words, Amy - wow. This also brought back feelings for me, tough ones, sad ones. It is a real clip of a real person's reality. No pretending, no masks.

Good writing, girl.

How could a parent not love something so simple and hand made by their own child? You've touched on a sad subject that happens all too often. This was well-written and you said a lot in a short piece.
02/21/07
Yes, I think it was a great idea ending it exactly where you did, and you cpatured all of the thoughts and emotions a child of that age would have. Well done!
02/22/07
Tight, great writing. Profound, one of those you remember long after you shut down the computer.
02/20/08
Man, I wanna know if she liked the card. Write a longer version, please!!!!
Amy, great characterization! I know all about the mom with ever meeting her, and the daughter too. :)