The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1033 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/03/12
Great title and great story. Loved it. It was on topic and so well-written. Nice description of the farm hand. I could see him sitting there eating the food!

Thanks. God Bless~
08/05/12
Your descriptions are just wonderful - you put me right there with them. Such atmosphere. Absolutely charmed by this piece!
08/05/12
Delightful reading! He sounds like a lovely man, you are very blessed to have had such a person in your childhood. Well done on a lovely and well-written piece.
08/06/12
I really enjoyed your story and the descriptions of Sam. I wonder if the 5th paragraph would have been better broken up a bit - just my opinion. But well-written and nicely 'foody'.
08/06/12
This yarn left me with a smile on my face. Very descriptive writing; an entry I truly enjoyed.
This seems to be only the beginning of a very interesting, entertaining and informative story. I really liked the way you formed Sam's character and his background - it seemed so authentic. And your scene settings are top-drawer in my book - I could see, taste and smell everything. Great job.
08/07/12
Very graphic descriptions of the sounds and smells and of the warmth of character. Very enjoyable read. I could visualise Savory Sam touching people with his love for food and his story-telling - almostv like a pied piper, only without the tragic ending of the original story. Excellent work.
This felt like an episode from Little House which is one of my favorite shows and books. It took me back to a simpler and slower time.

My only red ink would be (and I can't believe I'm saying it) but their was a part where Sam was talking and ha said Papa and I. While grammatically correct, it made me stop because the character you painted inside my head would say Papa and me or even Me and Papa.

You covered the topic in a fresh way and held my attention from beginning to end.
Awww the shame I spelled there as their. Oops Still loved your story though! :) Would you believe I did it on purpose to emphasize me red ink comment? :}
08/09/12
What a story teller you are! I enjoyed the description of Savory Sam and your writing is so authentic. It reminded me of those classics I read in my early days, very nice and warm and cosy. It is always great to have a character in your childhood that filled your life with pleasure.
08/09/12
What a story teller you are! I enjoyed the description of Savory Sam and your writing is so authentic. It reminded me of those classics I read in my early days, very nice and warm and cosy. It is always great to have a character in your childhood that filled your life with pleasure.
I really think you have some great characters to build upon in your story here, Myrna. The setting is great too. By-the-way, thank-you for the comment on my last entry in this challeng. It means a lot!