The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 932 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
03/01/12
Oh my heavens this was so real it gripped my heart! This is a scene that I have witnessed so many times in nursing homes.

You have managed to capture the true essence of "frustration and humiliation" that patients go through after a stroke. Especially, older men who were the "head of the household" and feel so "stripped of masculinity."

I loved it, and I simply adored the ending. Powerful job of delivering the "MC's internal conflicts" in a subtle way.

Thank you for this.

God Bless you~
03/02/12
What an excellent example of encouragement! I loved how naturally the dialogue flowed to capture a very realistic scene. Perfect ending.
03/02/12
This is an amazing piece…masterfully written and so realistic it felt like I was right there! It grabs your emotions and doesn’t let go until the end…which BTW was a terrific ending! Loved it!
03/05/12
Excellent writing! It fitted the topic perfectly and was raw and confronting to the reader. How much goes on behind closed doors that we are oblivious to, that a word of encouragement would make all the difference to. Well done on a great piece of writing.
I was trying to eat as I read this, had to stop swallowing when I choked up almost on the first sentence. Heart breaking, wonderful writing. There are differents types of encouragement. Sounds like Grandpa needs both offered.

You nailed this story and the topic!
03/07/12
I guess we all need that kind of love sometimes...great story. :)
03/08/12
Oh, this is awesome. So heartfelt and poignant. You could really feel everyone's emotions.
I have tears in my eyes. A stroke can do so much damage but I think one of the worst is when it affects the part of the brain that controls desire or willpower, or even encouragement. This was spot on topic and done with the honesty and dignity it deserves.
Congratulations for ranking 11th in Masters and 17th overall!