The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1152 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/12/10
You have drawn a credible, comprehensive portrait of pain, betrayed trust and the frustrated grace of friends who wish to help. I hope it's fictional for your sake.
very tragic, so sad it's a true story. my mom and I had a discussion yesterday about how people in today's society seem bent on justifying their sins. yes, God can bring beauty from our ashes, but there is a process of grief, of true repentance...it's not something that will just go away. I hope writing this story helped you deal with your own hurt in this. *hugs*
02/16/10
I could feel Marion's heartbreak and anguish...for the named and unnamed victims of his abuse, and for the loss of her friendship with Betty. Very powerful writing.
02/16/10
So often people want to hide behind ignorance and deny what is happening. It's hard to face the consequences of things like this. This story is so emotional. I feel for the MC, but I applaud the courage it took to go through that.
02/16/10
Oh, what a sad, sad story! I'm so sorry you've had to go through that, and for all the people involved! Hopefully Betty will realize, ultimately, that you were a true friend, despite her denial right now. The "unfriending" framed the story very effectively. Thanks for sharing this difficult but very well-written personal experience.
What a sad, sad story. All you have left to do is pray and know that you have, indeed, been a friend. Aren't you glad the Lord never "unfriends" us?
02/17/10
It must have taken great courage to do what you did, and courage again to put it in writing. Thank you for writing this. God bless you for being a true friend to Betty, and for standing up for Gail and others like her. I shudder to think what might have become of Gail if you hadn't pressed the matter.
A well-written piece. It is a valuable, though disheartening, "Ohhh" moment with a realistic unfolding of how people respond to such an "Ohhh". The only "red pen" thing I would offer is to lose a little of the "sleepovers, kids he was exposed to" part because you mentioned it at the start w/ the active in church, vbs, bus driver, etc. So the reader knows it. But in all, I think it was well done.
02/17/10
Wow....that one word "unfriended" just put the punctuation on this piece. I am so sad to read the loss and the hurt. You described it in a way that made me feel the pain. I hope that healing comes and soon.
Ohh, I don't like confronting a friend! This story made me uncomfortable on so many levels, which means you've done your job as a writer very well. :) This must have been so hard to write - kudos to you my friend. Well done.