The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2189 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/16/09
Oh, ouch! Really clever, but loaded with truth. Good work.
This is very, very clever. The slogan was priceless. Yet, with your message you reminded us clearly that there is a price to be paid for harming even "one of these little ones."
04/18/09
What an awful man who paid the ultimate price just to enjoy a few seconds of the devil's wisdom. If his reward is such, I wonder what kind of agony the devil and his demons have in store. Amazingly written.
04/19/09
Loved it. I couldn't wait to see Mr. Domingo get his just desserts (another product idea, Anderson). Plenty of funny bits with a very satisfying ending. Wicked irony indeed.
Very clever. Great detail. I suspect, knowing the author, that even the names are very intentional. Two thumbs up.
Yes, this is sooo clever and RIGHT ON TOPIC! I enjoyed it and was engaged from beginning to end. Bravo!
04/19/09
This kept me engaged all the way to the end, where I knew I would find the "hot" to go with the "cold"...excellent!
04/19/09
He seems to me to be a bit over the top as far as heartlessness, with the men so readily agreeing with him....it seems almost unreal. I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of bottom line want-to-be-rich people out there, but I wouldn't expect them to be quite so overt.

I get the point though. Nice job - just the right amount of dialogue combined with plot, and well done on your title. :)
04/19/09
Oh... wicked ending! I wasn't expecting that! This story had me on edge until the very end. (And from what I've seen at kids' clothing stores and toy stores lately, I think Mr. Domingo is in charge of a lot of it! Thanks for unmasking his evil plot! :)
I was on the edge of my seat from the very beginning to the chilling end. Cryogenics can't preserve a lost soul. (I wonder if the shareholders changed any policies after he was "gone"?)
Original take on the cold / hot theme. I like the way you illustrated the many levels or layers of coldness in Mr. Domingo. The final tie-in to "hot" was powerful.
04/20/09
Ooooooooohhhhh, I'm totally creeped out (in a good way of course!). This was a great entry, creative, intelligent and all wrapped up with a lesson. The plans Mr. Domingo has were so spooky b/c they seemed possible, dare I say probable? Shudder. Great atmosphere - especially the ickiness that was intensified by him staring at Miss Honeywell. Your attention to detail is awe-inspiring.
Well, Mr. Domingo got what we all deserve, were it not for grace. His sinister plotting and behavior toward Miss Honeywell made me glad to see him get it. I agree, the plot is disturbing, but probably because there's so much truth in it. Love your creativity!
04/21/09
This was a great story. I was locked in the whole time. Mr. Domingo scared me knowing that this people are out there thinking these thoughts. I loved what happened at the end.
04/21/09
Sheer brilliance! With sentences so masterfully crafted and a story so vivid and imaginative, I found myself going to writer's school on this story.

My, you are so talented.
04/21/09
The first paragraph and the last paragraph sum this man up perfectly. Loved the opening and ending, oh, and everything in between. Excellent take on the topic--so original. Amazing writing and creativity, as usual.
04/21/09

Eerie!

"What does it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul?"
04/21/09
Your characterization of Mr. Domingo as a cold, heartless, evil man was perfect! His "flunkies" were just the spineless "yes-men" he needed to carry out his plans, too! Great writing! :)
04/21/09
There was a Twilite Zone show once that had a man wake up like this expecting to be the richest man on earth, only to discover that costs had risen so high he couldn't even afford to ride the bus.

Very good, I was so glad he got his just desserts, or is that desert? Hot, dry, hmmm?
Wow. I did no see that ending coming. As always, superbly written.
I don't think you went wrong at all with this one. I think you accurately portrayed the attitudes and actions of many executives in corporate America today. Not all of them are cold and heartless, but many are out to see their shareholders pleased no matter what the cost to society.

The ending didn't surprise me as much as it did some people. I knew that a man this evil had to be headed downward. This was excellent writing. Your point came across loud and clear.
04/22/09
I'm always amazed at the creativity of your writings. This entry was amazing (again).
04/22/09
The Dictionary.com definition of satire is:

"a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule."

You did that perfectly in this story that lifts up Mr. Domingo to the readers for review. The readers that have left comments were certainly full of scorn, derision and ridicule of the MC's evil ways.

You succeeded as a satire!
04/22/09
Oh man - a plan gone wrong - ergh. Poor Mr. Domingo:) Very good story. Wow. Brilliant writing. Almost scary how clever you are;) LOL.
Oh my goodness. This was so well-written, but what a sad tale of truth as well. Like the way you showed the deception of the enemy with the vices of our world.
04/22/09
Brilliant portrayal of a man wicked to the core, and of the shock that lies in store for all the Mr Domingos. It's characters like these that have me looking forward to judgement day.