The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2075 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I laughed as I read the third sentence and realized who the other woman was. As I read on I felt sad that the two of them had left their first love and settled for second-rate substitutes!!
03/07/05
What can I say? This was a classic (pun intended). I marveled throughout at the cleverness of it all! Loved the humor yet this definitely could be true to life. My husband and I often joke about our next door neighbor - about how he's CONSTANTLY out in his garage! Hmmm....
Great story, exceptionally written.
Blessings, Lynda
priceless! exceptional! like my hubby and his laptop!
03/08/05
So often we can get caught up in our own world and end up closing doors to those around us. This was a fun and also meaningful read! I guess in my case it's my husband's golf clubs. Gof bless you.
03/08/05
I was worried till I saw the line about the fins and chrome. What a great read!

Funny but sad.
03/08/05
Very well written - and a too sad reality unfortunately
03/09/05
Very interesting beginning! Where do the characters change and grow? Perhaps I've been teaching Literature too long ... Where does it end? Do they ever come back together? Or is the leaving part perhaps for good? There is some foreshadowing there.
Overall, I liked this one ...
In His Grip,
KC
03/10/05
This was brilliant, absolutely hands down my favorite.
Wow! An amazing read. Very clever.
Very Clever! I vascillated between liking this character, feeling sorry for him and then wanting to smack him! lol All in all a great way to describe people who find a substitute to help them deal with the people in their lives they'd really rather not.
Favorite line? I think the one about "skipping the floozy and going straight to the garage"!
03/11/05
Brings back memories of a 57 Chevy my husband had years ago.
Even today he loves old cars.
I am glad he stayed around and did not drive off with her. LOL

Well written story.


Kathy
03/12/05
Man, o man, this one absolutely rocks. I loved it, every words. I am so glad I decided to read some of these tonight - this one's a homerun, big time.

>> “Kristy lost her gerbil and the toilet’s stopped up. How long can they hold their breath?<<

>> She looked bad, really old. Turns out it was actually Grandpa Johnson.<<

>>...wondering if he could skip the floozy and go straight to sleeping in the garage.<<

I haven't read something this rich in ages. Thanks for posting it. What a riot.
03/12/05
I sure did enjoy this, even though it had an undercurrent of sadness. Very well written and held my interest all the way through.
03/14/05
I have to agree with Dave. This piece rocks! Done with ease, cleverness and wit. I'm disappointed it didn't place. Regardless, your talent shines. Joanne
I skipped a few entries because I wanted to leave a comment on this one. I remember this story when I first read it in the challenge a year ago. It's never left. It's stayed with me like "Under the East Side," "Ashley,"and "The Pit" have stayed etched in my mind. I would love to see you send this story into a marriage enrichment course. ME and my husband took one called "His Needs her Needs." it covers how an affair can extend it's evil hand to objects and hobbies as well as a person. I always think about this story when I realize that something in my life is taking up my husband's space. So be encourged! The lessons you weave in your stories don't stay on this site, they are applicable and have remained with me and will probably be there. Great job!