The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1574 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/17/05
Beautifully written ... I especially love the phrase 'vehicular violence'! I can identify ... only my father gave up and eventually paid for a professional to teach me. Just as well our heavenly Father never gives up ... and one day we get it. A great article - thanks.
01/17/05
Your article held my interest and was written with ease. I loved the analogy you used. Jo
01/17/05
I think that we could swap stories. Only my friend taught me to drive on river road. Very scarey! Fun read and great application.
01/17/05
Good descriptions. I just taught my twin 16-year-olds to drive (on a standard transmission) and this is just how it went :-) But we don't have tumbleweeds in North Carolina.
01/17/05
Very well-written and extrememly enjoyable to read. I could see this unfolding in my mind.
One nit-picky thing...
It seems like the last line should have read "Suddenly WE realise WE are tired of looking at tumbleweeds and gravel." (Intead of "I") Since the paragraph above that line is using the "us" and "we" tense.
God bless!
01/17/05
Very well written and reminds me so much of learning to drive, only my husband gave up and his sister took over.
Thank God for his plans always have a way of working out and He never gives up on us even when we fail.
01/17/05
I really liked this, especially the comparison to riding a bull.
01/18/05
Oh boy...do I remember learning to drive with a clutch...and oh the patience of my dad.
01/18/05
Great story! You put me right back in that VW bug I learned to drive in. We had a hill about a mile from our house, and I killed that standard more times than I can recall. SOmetimes, getting home took a while. THanks for taking me back and remembering the patience by which my parents waited and waited and waited.
01/18/05
I feel you - learning to drive was quite complicated for me too but it is such a comfort to know that God is always there- ready to even out things for us. Great entry! I really enjoyed it! Keep winning and shining for Jesus.
01/18/05
I was hooked from the first word. Good story - great analogy.
01/18/05
You had me from 'the get-go'... and I wanted out of the driverseat and into that passenger seat. God must chuckle as times...and other times....well, quiet fits.
Your gripping analogy will never leave driving quite the same for me. On the road home, I can't help but wonder if we don't want the driver's seat tpp fast and too often. I'm so grateful the Lord is patient.

DeAnna
This was great reading. But beyond that it really ministered to me, as I find myself presently staring at some tumbleweeds and gravel. From beginning to end, your writing really said something.
01/18/05
Memory provoking. To this day I don't parallel park, because I gave up at 16. Most of the time it doesn't hinder me, hmmmmm any spiritual application there? Ha, Ha. Thanks for the interesting read, and the reminder. Maybe I need to tackle parallel parking!!!!
Just great! Loved every line. I hate tumbleweeds and gravel, but you sure paint a vivid picture.
I loved this story, and I loved your Dad. I could see it all unfolding and your humor made me laugh. Great job and well written. God bless you.
01/24/05
Glenn, I guess as the Co-ordinator I shouldn't admit that I picked this was yours (and I'm sure I wasn't alone). Good story, wonderful Dad and excellent message - as always. Congratulations on your Highly Commended Award in a Level with a very high standard of competition. Love, Deb