The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 954 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
This story brought tears to my eyes. There are so many ways the stores can help the hungry.
Over 30 years ago Mom startedher bread program. She convinced the local stores to give her the day-old goods that were still fine, but were being thrown away. mom had A special gift. One day she stopped at A house-really a tool shed where she had seen children playing. She knocked on the door told the family about the program when she saw they were about to resist she pointed their chicken and told the couple they would be doing her A favor she needed to get rid of the food and she offered it to them for their pets.

Your story reminded me of my beloved Mom and the world needs to hear stories like yours. Thank you for letting me remember Mom. I could relate to your characters and you pulled me in.
04/22/11
Very touching, and relatable. One day around Thanksgiving time I read in the paper our local Salvation Army had to shut their doors for awhile because their shelves were empty. That same day I watched an HGTV cooking challenge show, where the judges tasted meals costing $500 a plate. I now volunteer as a driver for a food collecting organization, and once a week I deliver a van load of food to our local Salvation Army.

Well done on this challenge piece.
05/05/11
Don’t know why but this made me think of those extreme couponers I have been watching on that TV show and how they have years of food and goods stored, like a hoarder, and only 2 of them gave anything to charity.

This story a vivid reminder we all need to help when and how we can.