The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 970 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/30/10
Since I'm a retired army nurse, you can imagine how you touched my heart with this wonderful story. I think you should submit this for publication (and I don't know that you need the disclaimer at the beginning. You told enough without being too graphic). Special thanks to you and others for reaching out to the real people trapped inside broken bodies.
This is a beautiful story of love. I'm finding myself choked up as I think of the sacrifice so many people made for my freedom.

The details of the burns were need to know information. My nephew was burned severely when he was a toddler. I can still remember the smells and the horrible burns in the burn unit. Thank you for sharing this story.
08/02/10
Wow! This is very well-written and not too graphic at all. Our eyes need to be opened to the horrors some of our soldiers faced. It's sad. We take our freedoms for granted so often.

Thank you for sharing this.
08/02/10
I'm inspired - to care more, to be more thankful, to pray more and to write better. Thank you for this.
08/02/10
Thanks for your graphic account of yours and our soldiers' sufferings because of the recent wars. Colin
Virgil,
Just watched Black Hawk Down last night and it made reading this so much more real and poignant. Not only do I give thanks for the soldiers who keep our lands free (I'm Canadian) but to see beyond the injuries to the spirit of the person within.
Very well written.
As I write this, my tears burn, the lump in my throat makes it difficult to swallow and my heart throbs with painful aching. I would like to see this published so that every American can see what many of their "Home of the Free" brothers and sisters have sacrificed for each and every single one of them.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this masterpiece.
08/03/10
Meaningful and very touching. What you brought across so powerfully for me, is the importance of our reactions to people who are disfigured or different.

I loved these lines:"Looking into a man’s eyes was like peering into his soul. Even when glazed by pain, a sparkle of personality communicated, “Hey, guys. I’m in here. I’m really glad to see you.” You reminded me that we need to truly SEE people! Beautiful.
Wow. Just wow.
Wow. Powerful, moving, challenging! I would love to do something like this one day. I hope you do publish this.
Well done.

Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart.
Congratulations for placing in the top 15 of your level and in the top 40 overall!
Congratulations for placing in the top 15 of your level and in the top 40 overall!
08/09/10
This broke my heart. The sacrifices these soldiers have made for me, for all of us. They deserve all of our love and pride.

I too had a nephew severely burned when very young and lost a little nephew (his brother) in an explosion too. It's heartbreaking.