The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1190 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Hope this is a true account. It is a delight and I loved the details. The ending is perfect, too.
04/11/08
“Ahhh, tis fit.” Loved it.
04/11/08
You did great with your grandmother's speech in this, I enjoyed "hearing" her brogue. You brought back a lot of memories of "dressing chickens" for me. :) This sentence is beautiful, "The years flew by and my grandparents joined the Lord's table during my college years." -- what an awesome thought (joining the Lord's table)! You are very good at this heart-warming writing!
Plucked many a chicken in my childhood on our poultry farm. Hated the smell of the wet feathers though. What a wonderful memories to have and create with your own grandson.
04/13/08
I loved hearing(reading) this. Your descriptions of the sights and sounds drew me in. If this is a true story you are truly blessed.
Wonderful characterization, and what vivid pictures you paint. I could smell the whole chicken process.
I felt like an intruder in the kitchen, your words put me there. What precious memories you have. Thanks for the telling.
I loved the grandmother and her accent. Her character really brought the story to life. I am assuming that this is a true story, and if it is, you had quite a unique grandmother.

This story made me very hungry. :)
I love the Irish accent and I could hear it every time the grandmother spoke. Nice story with touching ending.
04/14/08
From the title to the last word--wonderful.
04/15/08
I loved this! My grandmother cooked for all the farm hands too.

The accent was a plesure to imagine!
04/16/08
What a wonderful tribute. The narrorator's voice was very sweet. And it pulled at my hearstrings, 'cause I had a grandma named Blanche, too.
Great voice, and I so hope every word of this charming story is true. I'm a little unsure about killing the chicken, though, being the bird person that I am. ;0) Very well done.
04/16/08
Loved this walk down memory lane. I, too, can remember dressing chickens. I was the one that usually took the chicken from live to plucked. I'd rather just have the chocolate pie.
04/16/08
Loved this walk down memory lane. I, too, can remember dressing chickens. I was the one that usually took the chicken from live to plucked. I'd rather just have the chocolate pie.
This is VERY good! My favorite touch is the chocolate pie-lol. I loved this Irish Grandmother-especially the bits of dialouge, it added a lovely touch of culture and also quite a bit of character. Amazing! ^_^
04/16/08
This is a delightful tale, indeed! I love these lines: She was like a great ballerina floating from stove to cabinet to pantry. All the while, pots and pans were steaming, as she said, “talking.” It was a magical event. I laughed out loud several times!
04/17/08
I cannot BELIEVE you can write an accent like that and do such a great job at it. What an entertaining story!
Is there anything you can't do? You have more voices than an international choir! How did you learn to speak like that? As usual, your entries are such a pleasure to read, Dub. No wonder your students are crazy about you!
04/18/08
Congrats, Dub, on 39th place this week :D. You deserve it.
05/13/08
Marvellous. Thanks for sharing this story.