The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1625 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/16/08
Sweet! This piece really hits close to home. My daughter had a baby three weeks ago. They were expecting a girl, all the shower presents were for a girl. It WAS a girl...so everything was okay. :)

Your dialog was good in this, What a nightmare it was for your MC (not getting what she ordered). Your ending statement was good "God doesn't make mistakes" and you added a touch of humor, "and apparently neither does Angelo". :) I really enjoyed your story of a mismatched shower. What fun!
02/16/08
Very funny. So is the moral of the story -- always listen to your cake baker? LOL! Great job!
Laury
02/17/08
Great idea... how absolutely darling... and I started to guess it half way through, but that didn't take away from the joy of the ending.. I do hope she called the baker to tell him of his gift of prophecy! LOL.. Dianne
02/17/08
I really loved the story, (might be because the mom-to-be and I share the same first name). Only one little glitch, not sure who is talking here:
“This cake is pink. What am I supposed to do with a pink cake?” I pressed my fingers against my forehead, feeling the beginnings of a headache.

“But, I’ve already bought all the decorations, the plates, napkins and favors. Everything is blue. Now the cake won’t match.” I glanced at my watch.

Is the MC making both statements? If so, there is no need for separations. Makes one think Angelo is asking the question.

Overall good job!
02/19/08
Great story! I love the last line and the way it all worked out in the end. I stumbled just a bit on the sentence that Clarissa pointed to, also, but figured it out in short order. The MC is very natural and real in this entry. I like her and her attitude!
02/19/08
SWEET!!!! Enjoyed each bite of it.
02/19/08
Great fun, and I loved Angelo's voice and his spunky attitude.
02/20/08
I LOVE that last line.

Pet peeve: I don't know why everyone wants a boy—girls are just as great—Angelo knew that, and God agrees.

Great writing.
02/20/08
A fun read! Great dialog and Angelo's charaterization was just right. I really like how it ended, too. :-)
A wonderful presentation
Well done!

Thank you for bringing back good memories to my heart. When we lived in Sudan, Africa, on going to receive the cake order, I always had to pray,"O God kindly let it be to please...and not to tease."
I smiled many times reading this, so perfect for topic as well, THANKS!
A light and easy read! I liked how the cake turned out to be the 'right' color at the end. I had a feeling it might be that way when Angelo asked how the MC could know it if was really a boy. Good job here! ^_^
Oh, this is good. Nice little slice of life. Only one thing...I don't think the baker should have charged her for the cake. It was his mistake, after all. ;0)
Well done.
This is one of my favorites this week--delightful all the way through.
A fun, sweet story to read. I was glad she didn't fret over the pink cake for long. Nicely done.