The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1525 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I "think" you said a Christian doesn't have to check his/her brains at the door of the church. But may not.

What I love best about Christianity is that it can be as simple or as complex as it needs to be according to the individual believer: for those lured by the siren song of intellectualism it can satisfy all the way down to a frog's eyelash, but will likewise kneel to eye level of childlike faith.
This is a little over my head. The terms are unfamiliar to me. However, if I could take the time to search it all out, it would be very helpful and informative. Good job.
08/23/07
Well, from what I understand, there are many views within existentialism itself. (Including whether it even exists!) I think we hear most about the atheistic view in modern times. I look at Kierkegaard as a man who was fighting more against the church, which was a political entity at that time, than about how we should think of God. His view of faith and doubt is probably what most modern Christians regard as troubling. Anyway, though he was a beginning voice for Theistic existentialism, I think most Christians think of the atheistic point of view first, and that's why Christians reject all existentialist thinkers as a whole. Just my 2 cents!
08/27/07
This is apparently geared toward a very tiny, focussed group of readers. I guarantee the vast majority of us tuned out after paragraph one, relegating this piece to the valley of dry bones. I furrowed my brow and plowed through to the end, however. I would suggest that you narrow down the points you are trying to make to one or two, instead of cramming in as much as you can. Also, I would refrain from phrases like "I believe" and "in my opinion." You wrote the piece; it is understood that you believe this, and that it's your opinion. I'm not saying your wrong - honestly, I don't know that I understood enough of it to come to a conclusion one way or the other, and I am no stranger to theological/philosophical meanderings. I appreciate the effort, but I'd call this one a swing and a miss.
My "take home" definition of existentialism (from college, oh many years ago), was that there was no meaning in life except that which humanity has created. Two of the greatest pieces of existentialist writing, IMHO, are Victor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" and Ecclesiastes 1&2. Is that your working definition?
A scholarly work such as this need not be unclear. A little editing and grammar work is in order, and I wouldn't assume all your readers have your background, but I enjoyed your topic.
08/28/07
Bravo, for daring to write a different kind of article! *sheepishly* -- I'll need to read it a couple times to take it all in. :)
08/29/07
Definitely over my head as well, but it is definitely well-written for its genre.