The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1224 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Great job! The descriptions are both simplistic and vivid enough to create this foreign setting in a child's mind. I can really see this as a published story. Good luck!
06/10/07
This is entertaining and educational. I think children would enjoy reading or having this read to them. It could lead to discussions along many lines; holiday customs, WWII, Poland, etc.
06/11/07
Very interesting and touching story! I enjoyed reading about the Polish Christmas traditions, too! The little bit of fantasy would be very appealing to children! Good job! :)
06/11/07
A fantastic message, gift-wrapped in a wonderful story!
06/11/07
Wonderful way to introduce children to many new concepts, told with compelling writing.

I know this is based on true conversations with actual people, and that Polish words are difficult, but I wonder if some of the proper names and place names could have substitute, easier Polish names? I know that I'd feel daunted to read this aloud, and children unfamiliar with Polish words might feel quite intimidated. Or perhaps, follow the difficult words with pronunciation keys.

I was quite touched by this story, and also charmed by the cat.
06/12/07
Just charming and lovely. I was completely captivated by this piece. I also stumbled over the names, especially for a read-aloud book, but wonderful.