The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1110 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Quite enjoyable. I found myself smiling by the end of this piece. There may be a couple of incomplete sentences in the fourth paragraph, but it doesn't really detract from your story. Xavier is a memorable character. Thanks for sharing this.
12/15/06
What a wonderful story! This is excellent writing. There are so many wonderful descriptions throughout this piece. From the beginning dialogue (which made me smile) to the very last sentence (so very touching), this is top-notch.
12/18/06
This is wonderful! And I'll add that I liked your 4th paragraph--the fragments were a great way of contributing to the "voice" of this story. Very creative and entertaining.
12/22/06
Loved your title! Xavier was quite the colorful character. Fun to read.
12/27/06
What a touching scenario you give your reader, allowing us to see beyond the strange exteriors into the heart of the unsung hero. Blessings on the other unsung hero, the one serving squash and potato soup to the hungry, too. Thank you!
Were I the editor this story would have won first choice, hands down. Not only was it an example of excellent creative writing, but the spiritual message 'that we can and should view the mundane(or even disreputable) creatively' and that we are to esteem others better than self resonated of more than I have space to write.