The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2238 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I have an unexplained fascination with the Hopi peoples and their history and that's what drew me to this story. It was both comical and informative. And the writer's love for language and getting to know/understand other cultures is obvious. And, the quote at the end? Not the "cherry on top" as to many delightful deserts, but rather the pineapple on the bottom - as in "upside down pineapple cake" - one of my favorites : )
03/01/13
A delightful account of your food and language adventures at your church, which by the way, sounds like a great mix of people, and yummy food. Very well written. All the best with improving your vocab and accents!
You made me feel like I was there and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done.
03/02/13
I felt like I was sitting with all of you! Nicely done, and beautifully written. Thank you for sharing this wonderful entry.

God bless~
I was fascinated as I read this. Our world is so diverse yet also very similar. We all fit together much like a jigsaw puzzle. God then puts us together like a tasty stew.
Delightful and enlightening. What a pleasure to get caught up in the beauty of all these dear souls . . .

And the food sounds yum!
03/07/13
Great job! Congratulations Beth!
03/07/13
Congratulations!

Wing His Words
Congratulations, Beth. So happy to see this!
03/07/13
Thank you for giving us so much thought for food, and congratulations on your win. You place so regularly that the rest of us could Navajo-pe to emulate (I Hopi spelled that right) But seriously, you have mixed a powerful sense of fun into your testimony of love for people with different cultures. Great work, Beth.
03/07/13
WOW! Loved it. Congratulations Beth.
Congratulations, dear Friend, on placing first in Masters with this little vignette from your life. I loved worshiping with you and your small congregation. This piece shows your beautiful heart.

Thank you for glorifying God with your true, honest, just, pure, lovely, good, virtuous and praiseworthy winning entry! God bless you.

Love and verbal hugs, Judi

KJV Hebrews 10:26 "For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."
Yes Noel, we might not be apache on Beth, but let's just chippeway with what we have. Wonderful entry Beth,I enjoyed it so much and entered totally into it. Congratulations on first place in your category.
03/07/13
You made me tear-up with your "Yah-te-hey." My grandparents worked with the Navajos in Window Rock, and that's how he greeted us til the day he died. I wonder if he said "Yah-te-hey" to those he joined in heaven.
This is wonderful Beth - you carried us right there to your Church congregation with love, humour, understanding and sensitivity. Brilliant writing as always. Huge congrats on 1st place in Masters and very well deserved.
03/08/13
CONGRATULATIONS Beth! You certainly deserved this win. Great work, as I said earlier.
03/08/13
Charming and masterful story telling Miss Beth.
Oh how I miss Arizona and it's people...your piece made me a bit homesick.
Thank you for the work you are doing there and Congratulations on your well deserved win!
03/08/13
Congratulations Beth!
God bless~
This was a great article. I loved reading about the children as well as about the food. I, too, live in Arizona, but in the north off the reservations. Native American food can be delicious, particularly Navajo Fry Bread, which is probably really an un-Native American dish! Your story conveys how comfortable you are in your church and made the reader feel as comfortable. Congratulations on your first place in Masters.
Deep and meaningful. Congratulations for placing third, EC.
03/20/13
Beth, congratulations on your EC win and top placement in "Masters" with this interesting and fact-filled entry.
One of our pastor's (and his family) spent 25 years on the Navajo reservation in Flagstaff. They have shared much about the love of these people and how they mentored each other.