The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1146 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/17/10
Congratulations on your insight of how long-term pain resurfaces, even in the fun that introduces your story, and how God's grace also reaches into the same painful memories to release fresh hope. Well done.
01/18/10
Beautiful! I could feel the pain of memories and the love of her friends that surrounded her. Well done!
Your descriptions gave a real picture of the pain, as well as the caring, in this room. I love how you ended with a note of "grace" for Jane. Lovely story.
The emotional pain never really goes away - great job showing this, and on Janie's almost child-like character remembering the parents she lost.
01/18/10
Do we ever get too old to wince at hurts from the past? No, I don't think so.
This gentle story offers sweetness, caring and a loving spirit.

Mona
01/18/10
Beautiful story.
I was hoping James would react to the song!
This was a hard one for me to read as my mother is in a nursing home. She has chosen to be there even though we thought we could do better. She won't talk about anything and withdraws into her own pain--present and otherwise. This reminds me that I must be a little more understanding of her, even when I don't understand at all. Very well written- sucked the emotion right out of me!
01/18/10
Well-written, emotional piece.
01/18/10
What a lovely, touching story. Well done.
01/20/10
A really moving piece showing sweet care and kindness, which God loves. Long range memory recall is always better than the short in older age. Thank you for creating such a moving piece.

Colin
01/20/10
So touching. Your descriptions of the elderly folks were very well done. This piece will long be remembered in our hearts.
01/21/10
Yes, it's like Noel said, "long term pain does resurface" and you have written of it so well. You have a good understanding of older people and the pain they encounter. Super job!
01/21/10
What a sweet and tender story, beautifully written! I loved your depiction of how all the residents comforted Janie. Well done.
01/27/10
Very touching indeed. Good job of measuring out the love to equal the pain. Well done.
07/03/10
This is a very moving story that definately shows the power of music to heal. Thanks for sharing it.
How beautiful! I could almost feel the tension in the room, then the calm being spread over it like a warm Linus blanket when they started singing about Jesus. This is such a touching story! I wish it could find its way into print in the right magazine or venue.
07/03/10
I was touched the FIRST time I read this, Carole, with your sensitivity and the power of music to move the soul. You could feel the emotion in this piece. Great job!!
I liked this piece the first time I read it and liked it even more the second time around. That is one of my favorite songs.
07/03/10
This is very realistic and full of compassion. And, it is very readable, too. Well done, friend!