The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 3379 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
12/15/07
I love this - all your images are tantalizing and perfect, and what a wonderful message you send. Masterfully written.
12/16/07
Of our five senses, I Never thought of this specific "sense" before, when thinking of a Church. But this descriptive entry has shown me that there is a certain aroma, and/or smell to a Church...and it is true! Good job, and creative also. God Bless.
12/17/07
I hadn't thought of it before, but yes, I remember smells from the kitchen at our church while I was growing up! This is very creative on the topic and well put together. Very inviting to read and enjoy.
This is a very creative take on the topic with the descriptions making wonderful pictures.
12/19/07
One of the better devotionals I've read here. Awesome hook, superb examples, wonderful lesson.
12/19/07
I agree--this is a really good devotional. See if you can submit it to a church magazine or newsletter.
This is certainly food for thought.
I think that sentence will stick with me for awhile. Very good job! I liked the descriptions and especially the different scents.
12/20/07
What a creative take on the topic. You did a great job of getting the reader to "smell" the church. I'm amazed that you could write a whole article on smells -- and make me smell each one. Wonderful job with the topic.
12/20/07
Congratulations on your 2nd place entry!
Laury
12/20/07
Congratulations on your 2nd place. This was one of my favorites because it is so unique. Great job.
Congratulations on your well-deserved win. One of the least sought-after gifts of the Spirit is the gift of helps which was very much in evidence in your entry. What a unique approach to the subject! But I'm coming to expect that from you as you just keep getting better and better!
12/20/07
Karen, this is wonderfully written and extremely creative! I love all your examples! Congrats on your EC!
12/21/07
I relate fully to your article. A few weeks ago a local soup kitchen closed down in our town. Our church responde by inviting the homeless to lunch every day for a week. Before all was said and done we had fed over 2000 hot meals (full dinners at that). East Brent has never smelled more like a real church than it dit that week. Thanks again for offering insight to what "church" really is.
Congrats on your EC, this is truly awesome.
01/02/08
What a neat take on the subject! I have certainly been in church buildings that did not "smell" like a church. I'm glad mine does.
WOW! AMEN! May each of us exude the essence of Jesus Himself, sweet and full of His selflessness and compassion. I truly love this piece. Praise God! Great imagery!Makes me feel like I am in every place described, even for a moment. Thank you for writing this! Again WOW!!!
Must admit I really enjoyed this, its right up my alley, although I think some of the fragrances are missing. Let's just say, I loved it.
02/01/18
I know this is years later and just happened to read this!! I love the whole thing, but what it especially drove home to me is reminding us we are the church wherever we go...

Great writing!
02/01/18
I know this is years later and just happened to read this!! I love the whole thing, but what it especially drove home to me is reminding us we are the church wherever we go...

Great writing!