The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1359 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/07/07
Oh, the turbulant waters of the pre-teen! There's a good moral to your story which your main character, grudgingly, gets. I confess to wanting him to act more enlightened, but your version is probably the most realistic!
06/08/07
Now this one was definitely written from experience .. let me guess, it was either you as a kid, or something you've wanted to do on your kid for a while :)? Very realistic.
06/08/07
I may just have to steal this in a few years! I loved it - but I'm curious what a child might think of it. Great detail.
06/11/07
Excellent!
This is a well-written story that kids will enjoy, but they won't tell their parents about it!
06/14/07
Oh Steve, you poor thing. When I saw your brick I just had to come read your story. #1 - because your brick was so late I thought maybe no one would read it and #2 - your first entry in Masters! Yay! I remember my first entry in Masters - I slaved over it like my life depended on it. I felt as if I were going to be eaten alive.

I like your story. You have no idea how many times I've been tempted to use this tactic with my 15-year old. You do have one tiny typo which should not make a difference. If you don't know where it is, PM me and I'll let you know so you can fix it.

Throughout you have the perfect "voice" for a middle schooler. But then again, you probably already knew that. :)

And the last paragraph is perfection. A wonderful ending.

Love and blessings, Teri
06/14/07
Well written and the ending is perfect!
Tommy has the perfect voice. I've used the line on my kids so many times: "Well, I don't feel like cooking for you or washing your clothes, etc." when they say they don't feel like doing something (chores, homework, etc.). Of course, I always give in and do cook and wahs for them. Maybe If I didn't, they would learn. Great story!
Not too bad. A little predictable though! I liked that he did get good marks for the poetry assignment after all. Great story!
First wanted to stop by and welcome you to Masters and to thank-you for the comment you left on my kid's article last week.
In your "Lesson Learned" I think you captured the teen's "voice" so well. I sensed a good kid hiding inside and the parent's did a good, and honest job in bringing this out. Keep up the good work and look forward to reading more of your challenges.
06/17/07
Good show, Steve! You're obviously in your element, Master's wise and story-wise. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll be Best of the Best, yet.

I enjoyed reading your story, and the tension between the boy and his united-front parents. Great object lesson, learned!