The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 625 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I wasn't sure how you were going to make it on topic. When I found out, I kind of wished it had been off topic. My husband will gladly point out the religion is a business, but I just didn't expect this. I'm impressed that you could still see the good in it and didn't let that experience jade your memories. Remember to use hyphens when combining words to make an adjective like poverty-stricken neighborhood and air-conditioned room. I'll admit the quotation marks around the word hot interrupted the flow for me. I didn't know if you meant it as a play on words like the beach was really warm and sexy. I'd encourage you to not use quotation marks as a device like that except in rare circumstances. Likewise, let your words do your exclaiming and cut out the exclamation points except in rare spots. Overall, I think you did a great job. It's not easy for me to feel disappointed at the end of a story, yet still recognize the disappointment didn't come from the author but real life. That takes talent to pull off, and you accomplished it like an expert.
08/28/15
Disturbing, but nicely done.
08/29/15
Like Shannon, I was wondering for a while there how the story matched the title, but was left with no doubt by the end. Good use of commas and semi colons in some of the longer sentences. Thanks for sharing your story.
08/29/15
Not surprised, this happens in quite a bit of places. Well done, and excellent job with the topic, you nailed it completely in an authentic tale that was well written.

God bless~
09/03/15
Congratulations Terrie!
God bless~
Congratulations on your EC! I'm so happy for you. As I reread your story and my comments, I hope my comments didn't seem too harsh. Your writing was brilliant. I just struggled with a church "scamming" people. I've been talking to my son who is in Seminary about this very topic. The conference my church is a part of is trying to close down the camps. It's so sad because camping is a huge part of the ministry, pulling in kids who might never get to know Jesus except through camp. When I grumbled and said it didn't make sense, my son explained camping didn't make money. I don't understand that line of thinking at all. I wasn't disappointed in your writing, just what some churches are doing to survive. It makes me sad, but you did an outstanding job of bringing this problem to light. We have to be aware of it in order to do something. The coolest thing is even though you felt like you fell into a tourist trap, the Holy Spirit was definitely at work. Not only did the church sermon touch your heart, but it inspired you to write about it. I can see Jesus'fingerprints all over this situation from making sure you had that experience to encouraging you to write it. I'm so happy to see the well-deserved EC. When the books are released, no matter how long it might take, it'll be in God's timetable, and countless more people will be blessed by your words. I also loved your fresh take on the topic. This is so different from other stories, yet you nailed the topic. Congratulations and Happy Dance!
09/03/15
Congratulations on your 1st place in the Intermediate division.

Unfortunately, the church is not as honored as it once was. My sister, who works in a church, got her purse stolen from her office.
09/03/15
Congrats on your EC and your Intermediate placing. You've lit something of a fuse with some reviewers - which is a good indicator of how you've communicated. My only tip would be to use more active voice to introduce the setting, as passive voice adds a more reflective tone that's more suitable to a conclusion or a summary. But hey - you did a great job.