The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 569 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Takes me back to my Gram. Lovely story.
02/24/13
Awwww...thank you for the memories. It will touch many like myself who will recall their younger days and "grandmothers"

God bless~
I totally enjoyed this piece. I felt like you took me on a journey back through time. I could see the MC eager to have that key to peruse the china cabinet at leisure.

My main suggestion would be try to avoid the passive sentences with words like was. For example this sentence: In the bottom drawer was my favorite item,
could be made active like this: The bottom drawer cradled my favorite item.

I think you covered the topic in a fresh and fascinating way. the fact that you still treasure those items really says a lot and I think most of us can relate to things like that. Good job.
Even as an adult I love going to my mom's (she still doesn't really like me going through her stuff) and opening her china cabinet by turning that key. Keys are fascinating things and unlock so many wonderful mysteries (even if small) and world's of joy. I loved how you talked about the stereoscope and all you could view with it. I didn't know that was what it was called though so this was an educational piece for me as well. Thanks for sharing your memories with such lovely detail. Blessings...