The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 792 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
03/09/12
Thank you for sharing this story. I can relate to "flying" not a fan of it. In fact petrified of it. But, God is in control at all times.

Good job with this...On topic and well written.

God Bless~
I enjoyed this and I can sympathize with mom. Thank you for sharing and God bless.
03/10/12

I so relate to your MC. I used to love flying, not so much these days.

I was a little confused by all the ".." marks. I couldn't tell whether she was talking or thinking. I know it's hard when you're not able to use italics in the challenges. Maybe showing and not telling more would have helped?

Loved the ending...just sleep through the predicament! Great idea
03/11/12
On the odd occasions that I've flown I've had my nose pressed against the window so I don't miss anything. I love the excitement of taking off. I enjoyed your story, it fit the topic and flowed well. (Like the aeroplane!)
I enjoyed reading how your "predicament" turned out. It wasn't such a bad trip after all with a few pills ahead of time!
Very enjoyable reading. anyone who doesn't care for flying would certainly relate. One little detail that stuck out in my mind as a flying semi-veteran was the stewardess offering to let the MC's seat back before takeoff. Every flight I've ever been on that would've been a no-no!
"Put your tray table up, and your seat back in the upright position..."

LOL -- I think you take the same pills I do before I fly. Yes, moving the seat back was a little out of order...happens well after takeoff. On the other hand, that is what medication does..distorts timelines. Well written and excellent ending.
03/13/12
I love the outcome of this story! I don't know if it's true, but I am one of those people who hates flying so much that I haven't seen the "friendly skies" since my daughter was a baby. She turns 41 next month! The way you describe the MC in this story is the only way I would fly today. I just told a friend the other day that nothing is so important for me to have to fly! Anyway, I want to tell you how very much I enjoyed your entry. It read smoothly from the beginning and it seemed to have just the amount of dialogue in it. Good story!
03/14/12
I enjoyed your easy humor and had to laugh and nod my head at the MC's mental objections to flying. I especially liked the "what if" about the pilot's time to go. :)
Sounds like some worries that I would come up with, only I'm more frightened of boats than airplanes.

Great story, and nicely written!
Congratulations for placing 6th in level two!