The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1003 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
This is a very troubling article. To me, safety first, compassion later. I don't understand why she could not find her way home and then, all of a sudden was running towards home. This needs a little clarification. But this piece is very deep and really needs to be told.
06/15/07
Very frightening, and you certainly captured that. I was very anxious throughout.
This article left me with many questions, such as what evoked the father to beat his daughter in the first place? Did he actually change right there before the daughter's eyes after beating her? It is a story of an all-to occuring event.
06/18/07
This is definitely worth revising for clarity...teens can certainly relate to the issue of domestic violence.

I was concerned about her clothing in the beginning. Was she really wearing "nothing but a torn shirt?"

Definitely edit and expand.
A story I'm sure many teens can relate to. The emotions came through in your writing wonderfully. I'm glad she found her way home again. :)
What an emotional story. Wow! I also was wondering if she was only wearing a torn shirt. Your writing creates some strong feelings, which is good. Keep writing.
The wording is very powerful but the story line was a little confusing.

I assume the story begins after the beating and then she flashes back to what actually let her to the place where she is walking around in a torn shirt.

This is a good story line that will speak to many teens but I agree with previous comments that clarification will be needed...and more elaboration on the dad's transformation. Some narrative of what is going on in his heart and mind.
Sure wish you had more than 750 words to write this peice. It is a stORYy which needs to be told and I am positive it hit home with many readers. God's blessing is in this writing.