The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1292 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
12/06/07
Lots of truth here. I think we all can learn from this. Enjoyed this read!
Very nice, the message is awesome and yes, I want to be an Ellie
12/09/07
Great lesson packed in this little poem! Good read.
12/11/07
Amen and amen! I really liked this! Thank you and bless you!
12/12/07
Cute poem to use as a bulletin insert, perhaps.

I wonder if the group/loop rhyme is a bit forced.

I like rhyming poetry to be short and sweet, as otherwise it gets tiresome. This one is NOT tiresome in the least...it has charm and just enough "lesson."
12/12/07
Wow! This reminds me of something I saw on a button that a waitress was wearing: I am a People Pleaser.

Are we People Pleasers or God Pleasers? Where is our focus? Excellent rhyming and rhythm with a perfect message!
If we could see other's hearts like God does, I'm know which of the two houses I would find myself. I liked the way you showed the two contrasting motives and the way it makes us stop to think of our own.
I loved the thought here. "God should be the focus of our religious walk" is exactly the right message, for home group, as well as in all our actions.
A Mary and Martha concept with a modern day spin. Very nice. And the rhyming format works well, too. Charming!
I love the glimpses into 2 home group leaders, and the lesson shown in the differences.
RED PEN: The cadence/rhythm (don't know the exact term) is just a bit off. Not to re-write for you, but if you changed the first stanza just a bit, each line would have 9 syllables and flow off the tongue better:

Sue set out snacks and flavorful punch
Tided the couch and the chairs and such.
Vacuumed and dusted so all was clean.
Sprayed air freshener and made windows gleam.
(I know "freshener" is technically 3 syllables, but it's usually pronounced as 2.)
Keep it up - I really liked your poem!
:) Love, Cat