The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1520 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Beautiful testimony to eternal life! I was so moved when you discovered he was trying to sing hymns, and the way you described them bubbling out of a full heart! Great job.
06/26/06
Nice testimony. God calls us at any age and stage in our lives. There is still hope for our parents and grandparents - prayer is what we can do. Nicely done.
06/27/06
Wonderful and sweet story of your father's last days, moved my heart. Good job!
06/27/06
Beautiful, the way you painted a picture of your father singing a hymn, what love for his Father he must have held in his heart. You did a grat job telling this touching story.
06/27/06
Sorry for the typo, 'great job'.
06/27/06
Your first ever Challenge entry? Wow, aren't you off to a great start! I LOVE the idea of God still "carrying His work on to completion" even while our health and mental faculties may be deteriorating. What a beautiful concept!

One suggestion for next time: as beautiful and poignant as your chosen scriptures are, I think your writing would be much stronger if you chose just one or two passages to focus on and tied them together with one strong point. You illustrated a beautiful picture for us, but applying such a variety of passages makes the picture hazy.

It's been a long time since a "devotional" type of entry has won the Challenge - but if you keep honing, you just might be the one to do it. Keep it up!
06/27/06
Amen! This is REAL living, and REAL life. We haven't even begun yet. Good job.
06/27/06
Amen! This is REAL living, and REAL life. We haven't even begun yet. Good job.
Wow, if this is your first challenge entry, you are off to a great start. One suggestion. Go to your account page and find the section that has articles on writing. There is some good info on using Scripture in writing. This will help you a lot. Good job. Keep it up.
06/28/06
Very good. The only change I would make would be to identify that it's your dad at the beginning of the story. I could assume it was your dad, but it could have been a grandpa or uncle too. That may be just me thought. ;-) Great entry for your first time. I see I have some steep competition in level 1 this week!
07/05/06
Thank you for the beautiful story and the scripture reminders. As a nurse, I've seen how a person's spirit can break through the limits of body and soul. You describe that experience between your dad and sister so well. You touch my heart.
07/05/06
Wonderful story, Don! I am touched and uplifted by your words.
DON
I READ YOUR ARTICLE THIS MORNING AND AM BLESSED.THANK YOU.
IT IS ANOTHER REMINDER THAT I WILL SEE MY LORD JESUS AND MY DAD AGAIN WHEN THE LORD CALLS ME HOME. WHAT A LOT OF BLESSINGS WE INHERIT BECAUSE OUR SAVIOR LIVES. ALL PRAISE TO HIM FOR THE ABUNDANT LIFE THAT WE HAVE. INDEED A GREAT TESTIMONY
LEELA
05/19/07
Don, I got around to reading your story today and all I can say is that, although you may not have "won" a prize, your story is still touching people! I love the part about saying goodbye to these earthly props, like canes and walkers. Don't you just hate those? I always said that, when my parents arrived in Heaven, they ran all over for about four days from the joy of their bodies working once again. It took that long for people to finally be able to tell them "hello." I love that your dad sang a gospel hymn. It shows he was still, inside his locked mind, able to commune with his God. Maybe they're not suffering as much as we think! What a blessed time that would be, spending each day with God until he lifts you up and carries you home! Thanks for this touching story!