The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 602 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/06/16
The story was captivating from beginning to end. I thought the last line added a magical touch.
This is a great story. I loved the conflict and how it played out. I thought it original and powerful.

Your beginning had a nice hook, but you could tighten it up like this:
My mouth grew dry as I watched little Angelique scurry out of the compound into the alley, where she hid among the cans. Being her guardian angel, I was able to hear her thoughts. They can't find me her. She turned her head towards the gate and didn't see the van pull up, but I spotted it immediately.

By adding some body language and putting thoughts in italics, it can spice the story up some. Remember who is your narrator. Usually, the reader can only know what the MC sees, hears and thinks. If you hop into another head it's called a POV shift. I fixed it here with the lune: Being her guardian angel (which alluded to omniscience at least toward her charge) helped prevent the shift, but try to be aware of whose head you're in when writing a story and tell it from the MC's POV.

You did a nice job. I liked the protective nature of the MC and the innocence of the child. You kept me intrig0right to the end.
05/09/16
I thought this was very original and well done. I applaud you. I have to wonder why you are in the beginners' level.
05/10/16
Well done!

Great job with delivery , content and being on topic.

Blessings~
05/12/16
Congratulations, Don, for winning 1st place in the Beginners Category and moving up to the Intermediate category. You have a real gift.
05/15/16
Congratulations on 1st Place!
06/03/16
Congratulations on your well deserved first place ribbon for this creative story.

Write on!