The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 562 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/12/15
The machine you mentioned in your story is a huge beast. This was an uplifting story about how God watches over us. I noticed a slight grammatical error when you used fell, it should have been fallen. Great story writing. I learned a lot.
Wow this is an incredible testimony. You did an outstanding job of describing it and your emotions. I loved some of the words you used like nemesis, stumbled, and cowered. They really went a long way in helping me connect with the MC.

The main red ink I'd offer would be careful about using the universal you. Once you realize you're doing it, it's easy to fix. This line:
When you cut the motor on the hose pressurizes, supercharging the water...
Would become this:
Cutting the motor on the hose pressurizes it
Sorry, I accidentally hit submit. This line also has a universal you in it which is easily fixed:just like what you see at a car wash.
To:
just like those at a car wash.

Other than that little thing and a couple of minor punctuation errors, I think you did a wonderful job. You really grabbed my attention. The suspense kept me invested right until the very end. I even liked that the jerk, uhm, I mean, boss, apologized. I like how you added dialog too. One suggestion would be to use contractions as that is more natural sounding. I understand why it's hard for some people, especially those over forty. The teachers used to insist that contractions weren't proper in writing. While they should be avoided in formal pieces, in dialog they bring a realistic felt. I loved the way you inserted the topic in your piece. The faith of the MC is admirable. I really enjoyed this article.
06/15/15
A well told account of your harrowing experience and God's provision of angels to help you.Well done.
06/15/15
It was good to see George was not a totally bad guy. Maybe he might even change his ways.
06/15/15
I was so relieved that angels protected you during this harrowing experience. How many people does it take to run a "coal stacked." I was amazed how mammoth that machine was once I looked at it on Google. I hope your boss was compassionate when you came back to work and gave you a lighter work load. I am so sorry it took him so long to realize you were really hurt.
06/16/15
Like most other reviewers, I've also just Googled images of coal stackers. You're right, they are monstrous beasts.
Your MC has copped a tough time, but - without seeking too many visceral details - I feel your descriptions seem to be more detached than personal.
06/16/15
Wow! what an experience! Your writing brings energy to your piece and begs the reader to read on.

The only bit of red ink i might offer, is that some of your describing slows the reader down. Im like you in this, and have to try to chose carefully what, where and how I describe things.

Great job! You'll be moving up soon:)