The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 595 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/25/13
I wonder if this is a true story? It sounds like it could be; that's for sure. You've done a good job of constructing a story that grabs the reader's attention all the way to the end. I loved it.

One thing I've learned over this past couple of years is that the use of quotation marks (or the apostrophy you are using here) is to be used rarely. I used to use the quotes a lot, because it's the way i talk. However, editors have told me to use italics for words that you would usually put quotation marks around to highlight the word, but to make such a highlight an infrequent occurrence on my page. Because i used to do this all the time, I can read your article and see you telling it to me in just the way i would be teling it to you had it been my story. Little things like that will come in time, as you learn and grow in your writing. You've done a super job of presenting a compelling read. Keep writing!
Yes, God's call does not necessarily mean comfortable living but faithful living.

If writing seems to be "a call" don't expect comfortable writing if faithful writing isn't given.

Answer your call.

I enjoyed your story very much! I loved the image of the blustery weather against what you had expected to be a peaceful beach getaway. Thank you for posting that.
07/26/13
This is very well-written, and I enjoyed reading it.

The use of quotation marks to set aside a phrase like 'God's call' has the opposite effect of what you intended. Quotation marks, when not indicating dialogue, give the impression that you are being facetious. Most of the ones you use here are unnecessary. However, I think the piece could benefit from some more personal touches--perhaps some conversation between you and your family about the changes in your lives.

Those are minor quibbles, and this piece is one that I'd expect to see in a higher level.
07/29/13
I enjoyed your entry very much. It has the ring of truth to it. Let us know if it is.

I think your descriptions are good. I felt the cold water on my feet.

I hope you keep writing. You have a gift for it.
07/30/13
Enjoyed this piece very much. God Bless you:)
Congratulations for ranking 10th in your level !! (The highest rankings can be found on the message boards)