The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 795 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/25/08
One question: What is 'braai'?
Other than a couple typos,(Idris or Iris) this is a well written story.
Being an American, I loved the foreign flavor of this piece. Each character seemed to have his/her own unique personality.

I too didn't quite udnerstand what braai is. Maybe an explanation for the reader would have helped. I didn't see where Iris and Idris was a typo. I took it that they were two different people (Iris a woman and Idris a man).

Good job with this! I appreciate you sharing it.
"The braai was the men's responsibility .... grilled on the barbeque..."

Does this explain a 'braai'?
11/10/08
Thanks for a lovely piece that brings back happy memories. Rhodesia was such a wonderful place before independence and Bob ruined it. I hope Anna was not part of those wonderful missionaries who were mas secured at Elim mission station by the terrorists. For those not of Africa a braai is an Africans word that means BBQ. However, we don't cook hamburger patties or weeners on it. We cook steaks, lamb chops, kebabs, boerewors (a thick chunks sosage and many other meat delicacies). Rhodesia was once the bread basket of Africa but since independence it has become a place of murder and misery with hundreds of thousands starving. Very sad.