The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1148 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
08/23/07
Oh goodness, what a confusing conversation!

Your formatting problem may be due to your computer being set up to type in a foreign language; you might want to check your settings to assure that it doesn't happen again.

Poor guy's going to have a heart attack with his attitude and behavior...good writing.
08/23/07
Hi there.

Jan is right about the formatting, but in your case I think it may be because you copied straight from a Word document (or similar). Online programs like this really dislike the formatting in those programs.

The best thing to do is copy over to notepad and save as a plain text file. Then either upload that or copy and paste the text into the submission box. That should solve the problems with quotation marks, apostrophes and some other punctuation being turned into weird symbols. It's possible you may not be able to see it in your own browser. That's what makes it so tricky.

I will put your mind at rest, however, and say that the judges are told not to hold weird formatting against an entry. So your entry will still be judged on the merits of your writing, not on the presentation.

With love, Deb (Challenge Coordinator)
08/25/07
I LOVE having just one side of the conversation. Very effective! Enjoyed this.
Very clever piece here. I enjoyed it very much. Cute surprise at the end.
08/31/07
Congratulations, Mark. In addition to your third place finish in beginners, your entry has placed 28th overall. The Lists for the Top 15 in each Level and the Top 40 overall are available in the Weekly Results and Highest Rankings forum of our Faithwriters Message Boards.