The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 347 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
07/13/17
That would be a stressful situation for anyone. I would like to have this played out a little more with dialogue, tension between characters. And did you mean promoted instead of prompted? We all need to be careful about proofing. Good job, keep writing.
07/13/17
This was an interesting (sounds true?) account of a tough situation to be in.

Red Ink: I feel like the account could have used more description about the inner conflict and thoughts of the main character.
07/14/17
Great job with the topic, loved your message.
Well done,
Blessings~
I like your story here so much that I wish you had used all 750 words. You have the foundation of a brilliant story here. If you add dialog, body language, and thoughts you can take this slightly dry piece and turn it into exciting creative-nonfiction. For example, I might edit it like this: As I recalled the events of the day, I could feel my heart pick up its pace, and I started forcing my breath through clenched teeth. <i>How dare he? </i> I shook my head as I recalled how Phil trounced into my office with that ridiculous document. <i>Seriously, who does he think he is? </i>

Just by adding these details it adds tension and creates a vision for the reader. (The parts between the <i> would show up in italics and indicate the MC's thoughts.)

I think the conflict is compelling. It pulled me in right away and I was totally intrigued.

I'm not sure you nailed the topic, but I think I see where you were going. In my head, I'd think of pressure or ethics, but I can also see crowd as a type of pressure so you definitely were headed in the right direction. Again, by adding more details I think you could have shown that pressure even more.

The best part of this is the message. Every day we are tested, especially in today's world. People expect Christians to be beyond reproach. I'm glad the MC didn't succumb to temptation.

I'd love to challenge you to read and comment on every entry in this level and then do at least 5 in levels 3 and 4. We often forget that readers, not writers, are our audience and you have a lifetime of reading experience so you are qualified. You have some serious raw talent here. By finding out what works for you (or doesn't), you'll be able to tweak those things in your own writing. When I first started writing here, I noticed I didn't care for the mysterious stranger endings. By seeing it in someone else's story, I learned to stop using it in my own stories.

I also liked your story because it made me stop and wonder how I would have handled it. I'm sure it wouldn't have been as graceful as your MC. This is great because it showed me something I need to work on. God definitely has great plans for you. I believe you have touched many hearts and likely in ways you can't even imagine. You are being obedient, and when we do that it glorifies God in wonderful ways. I'm eager to read more of your work.
Thank you all for the advice, encouragement and critique. I highly appreciate them.
Thank you all for the advice, encouragement and critique. I highly appreciate them.