The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 739 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/10/13
Thanks for sharing your story with us. It was a compelling read with an important message at the end...Today, I may still be perceived as an outcast, but I know I am embraced by the silver lining of God’s grace through Christ
Amen & Amen...God bless~
Wow this is a powerful piece. I'm not sure if it's a true story or not, but the raw emotion really grabbed me and pulled me in. I wanted to reach through the pages and hug the MC.

You may want to look at your opening paragraph. All three lines start with the word I. If you vary it just a bit, then you can make it more intriguing for the reader. For example: Having been labelled an outcast for most of my life, I never do what people expect of me. I come across as abrupt and unapproachable. Rather than the one who completes a pair, I tend to disturb the balance.
Also be careful about being consistent with your tenses. You start off in the past and then drift to present, then back again. It can be tricky to write in the present tense, but you do do a nice job of it with only a couple of little slips. That is impressive and helped me relate to the MC right away.

I think you did a nice job of writing on topic. Life can be so difficult and I think we all worry about being judged by others, but as you so nicely point out, there is someone out there who does love us, faults and all and only wants the very best for us. You did a grand job with this piece!
I understand the last half of the article but have some difficulty grasping some of the first part.

In Christ Jesus, he makes our past to be memories and not anchors. He lets us use these memories as stepping stones to climb higher to accomplish his purpose for us.

Keep the memories as stepping stones under your feet and not as an anchor around your neck.

Use writing as a tool from God.
10/21/13
Congratulations! God bless~
01/05/14
What self-contented and prideful folks regard as "ugly and despised" is really a testimony against them - one day they will know the ugliness that resides within their own hearts. There are also talented and beautiful people who are hated and despised because of their gifts and good looks. Or, as is often the case, they are only liked because of their gifts and good looks - if they lost them, they would lose their admirers as well. People can be so two-faced. Neither ugly or beautiful is anything - it is what abides in the heart that counts as you have learned. Thank you for sharing this important message!