The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 592 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I enjoyed this modern day twist on the Prodigal son. I suspect that many people will do a remake of this story. I like how you put the two twist on it to keep it fresh.

Make sure you do a thorough proof. Sometimes it's good to let it set for a day or two so you catch things like ex-girlfriend instead of x-girlfriend and getting the quotation marks correct. Remember pastor should only be capitalized if it is being used as a name, but if you put a qualifier in front like my or a, then it's just a regular noun, not a proper noun.

You did a nice job with using the dialog to build the characters. You have a good conflict and resolved it in a great way. I liked the ending too. It shows the many ways God can work wonderful things in horrible situations. Good job.
10/10/13
I really enjoyed your views and story about the Prodigal son. It held my attention throughout, and I liked how you concluded the entry with an uplifting message for all who read it.

Thanks. God bless~
10/12/13
So subtle, yet so powerful. Just 2 brothers having a heart-felt conversation, but the message runs deep. The ending needed a bit more humph... it was unclear if the mugger was at the alter or was standing a midst the congregation....probably using a full stop instead of a comma in the last sentence would have been more appropriate or effective. Overall, it's a good piece. You hit the nail on the head in terms of the topic.
10/12/13
Referring to this: "but the message today was for him. God’s mercy had saved both lives."
Well done article.

In our modern setting some take both of the sons in the prodigal son parable as Christians with the one son turning to a life of sin for a while but repenting and coming back to God.

Another modern ending would be to have the attacker standing in water confessing his belief in Jesus as both Lord and Christ and being baptized for the forgiveness of his sin. (Acts 2:38) With the added gift of the Holy Spirit, he would have been filled with peace, joy and thankfulness.
10/13/13
The darkness within is such a revealing and I meant that in a spiritual sense. It has a very personal element and I think that motivates people when they are experiencing a testimony, I think more expression of the emotions of the characters would enhance the story's quality. I think that was very creative to use the prodigal son experience for the black sheep of the family. So honest and real it challenged me to really reflect on these character's experience.