The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2290 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/21/11
We are constantly taken by surprise at the wisdom of our King. Often His commands don't make sense, but we discover it is always for our good and His glory.
It was a glimpse of the beauty that waited. I love great lines, especially when they are in great stories that inspire and encourage me. Super job.
01/24/11
I actually REALLY liked this, especially the "fable" quality of it. And this bit of foreshadowing, "It’s our job to identify the plants, rid the garden of what’s not needed, and nurture the soil, so that the garden can be beautiful again.” was just a perfect descrition of that season of her life. I felt satisfied with the satisfaction she felt for having done her job well. Nice work on this super creative story!
As someone who also can't keep a plant alive, I smiled at the MC's predicament. That drew me in and the good writing kept me until the end.
01/24/11
I loved the message in this story. It took me a bit to click into the rhythm of the story, perhaps because there was a lot of exposition early on. Then again, I'm a character fanatic, so my perception could be skewed. Really excellent concept.
I, too, loved the "fable" aspect. The King is always wisest in our grief. Really good writing here!
01/26/11
Weeds see me coming and laugh because they know they'll be safe. Weeds or flowers? That is the question:)

I like how we watch the woman slowly rise from her grief back to life. Nice job!
01/27/11
Lovely, absolutely lovely. Congratulations on your well-deserved win.
01/27/11
Love your writing style! Lovely story with an insightful message! CONGRATULATIONS on your win!!
01/27/11
Well crafted from opening sentence to a great conclusion. I love how you subtlely tied grief to the seasons of life - at least that's how I read it.

You deserved your win.
01/27/11
Just lovely, Lynn. Beautiful storytelling. Definitely fitting of its place, my dear friend.
01/27/11
You have a spectacular talent for arranging words. I can't even form the words that would adequately describe how thoroughly I enjoyed this story. Congratulations on your well-deserved win.
01/27/11
What a lovely story, tying together the seasons of growing, grieving, and living. Congratulations--well done!
01/27/11
Congratulations, Lynn, on your Editor's Choice award for this exquisite story!
01/27/11
Thank you for sharing such wisdom in this fable. God's ways are definitely not our ways, but it is nice to know that He's working everything out for our own good.

Congratulations on your win. I look forward to reading more of your work.
01/28/11
I could identify with your MC on several levels. There is something therapeutic about gardening--the tending to them and the satisfaction of watching them come to life. Liked the analogy within this wonderfully winning piece. Congrats!