The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 904 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/06/09
My youngest child plans to attend a university in August… I could relate to so much of this. Judging by your last paragraph, I think you have it figured out! Thanks for writing this.
06/08/09
Being a recent empty-nester, I so identified with this piece so naturally and wonderfully written.

I enjoyed.
06/09/09
This is excellent descriptive writing. Bang on target. All the best with it! Colin
06/09/09
So many of us can relate. Grandchildren help. Good story.
Mona
06/10/09
The emotions here are so real! This is a great reminder to those of us with younger children that we should enjoy them while we can! (Just a thought... won't the daughter still want to have her room when she comes home--for Christmas, for the summer, etc.? I know I did!!) Well done.
06/10/09
Ah, the bitter-sweet experience of having the little ones take flight.

Beautifully told.
06/10/09
Very nice writing, Pam! I really like the first line. Great opening and nice mood throughout. Good job.

A tiny thing
Gladness surrounded my husband and I like sunshine when he told me we were pregnant. Who told them they were pregnant? It reads like the MC's husband told them. Is he a doctor?

Also. I think you would have a stronger entry if you eliminated the labels bitter and sweet. Let your story speak for itself. It does.:)
07/21/09
Beautifully written! Hubby and I are new to the world of "empty nesters," you have so elegantly expressed the essence of this bittersweet time in life. I am sure your special little retreat will be filled with precious memories.