The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1894 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/22/09
Loved this one... great MC voice. Creative, sweet, and fun.
01/23/09
Love it! It must have driven your spell check crazy!
What fun. This entry tells me someone has seen children's writing. Your mc is "real" and delightful.
01/25/09
A sweet approach at illustrating an outsider's view of Australia. I felt that the focus of the creativity was on the deliberate misspellings rather than on any particular information on Australia and that the story suffered somewhat as a result.
01/25/09
This just killed me--so very realistic, down to the funny run-on sentences...and it also made me fall in love with that cutie pie little girl. Adorable!
01/26/09
I LOVE Chelsea. TRULY! What a cutie. The writing was so authentic to her age - did you have a child write it for you? (wink wink)
01/26/09
Love the MC, so onnest and innosent.
My favorite part was the bit about hanging upside down.
Chelsea makes astrallia sound cool! I want to go see the kola bears and kangarooz too! :) Fun read - I think you did a great job with the voice and the spelling.
01/26/09
This is just perfect for this age and voice! I Love the run-ons, too and the way she starts the next day like she just left off writing a minute ago...so like 4th grader. Such fun!
This is too cute and you've captured that 4th grader's voice so well. The last entry reminds me of of my daughter who at once could have three best friends in the world. Oh, for the mind of a child again!
01/28/09
Love it! This sounds exactly like the journal entries my kids have done over the years...adorable!
01/28/09
There goes that humorous voice I like so much! Thanks to Gregory for his honesty...and that, notwithstanding, there's nothing like a belly full of laughs, just for the sheer fun of it. Thanks, Sheri!
Oh, Chelsea is adorable. I wanted her assignment to continue for another week!
How much fun this must have been to write! Good stuff.
01/29/09
Congratulations on your EC! Keep the humor rolling...just for me, of course :)
01/29/09
This is lovely - especially the part about a headake!
01/29/09
As a former elementary teacher and homeschooling mom, I say you have perfectly captured the writing style of a 4th grader--the spelling, punctuation, run-ons, and off-topic bits!! It is so authentic in every way! (I should know, having graded so many essays just like it!!)

This piece was funny and delightful from start to finish! It truly deserves its SECOND PLACE win!! :)
01/29/09
You "nailed" the voice. I know, I teach 3rd & 5th grade grammar. What a delightful child you have created. It would be an honor to have her in my classroom.
01/29/09
Fun stuff to read here... and I bet it was fun to write. Congrats Sheri on your EC and level placing!