The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1318 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
12/04/08
This recent tragedy should cause us to stop and think about our values, shouldn't it? The ending was a bit jarring but I suppose, typical of a kid. Nicely done.
12/05/08
You certainly know how to keep the suspense going right to the end! I liked the last line, it made me laugh, and stopped the story from being too sugar sweet, reminding us these were still people, not angels.
12/09/08
This is a very pleasing take on Christmas morning. I don't know that my kids would have been so generous, although we have taught them over the years to clear out many of their old toys just before Christmas and pass them on to others in the community where we live in Africa. This helps to remind them about the joy of giving and to put the receiving of presents into context.
I really do like your story and I particularly appreciate the way in which you portrayed the emotions of the parents in all of their uncertainty. My one reservation would be that the children didn't get to choose themselves to give to those in the orphanage.
By the way the humour in your last line was perfect
At first I thought they had financial troubles, so no presents. I like your ending better. A very moving story, and so well written!
12/10/08
I remember the year the home behind us burned on Christmas Eve. My 2 children at the time were complaining about what they didn't get.
I came unglued.
It's sad that it takes a tragedy like this to bring us back to what's really important.
Great story!