The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1842 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/29/08
Stunningly well-written. Perfect title. This is simply a masterpiece.
Oh my! I would say this is sad, but it's so well written, I can only enjoy the bittersweet feel of it. I didn't even think that it could be his mother, I thought it was maybe a sister or a cousin, but wow. Excellent writing! ^_^
Beautifully done. Excellent.
05/30/08
Wonderful. I can't think of anything that should be changed. This story reminded me so much of my own father's last years. Very well done.
This is an awesome story...one that will linger in my mind for a long time.
06/01/08
I knew there was something amiss by the "...George". This has so many examples of showing, not telling. And it's very authentic. It either happened to you, a close friend, or you have a great deal of empathy. Well done.
06/01/08
Your ending was simply outstanding, and you made me cry! Great characterization and sense of place. Love this line:
I stared forlornly at the frail figure in the chair, lost in her yesterdays.
Well done.
06/01/08
Wow! This is a great piece. I didn't guess that she was his mom, either. Wonderful writing and so very sad.
Laury
Touching!
Wow! The last line was a killer! I was captivated the whole way through. I knew it was an Alzheimer's patient, but I thought maybe his wife, not his mom. Beautiful job! Blessings, Cheri
06/02/08
Oh - heartbreaking. Wonderfully characterized and excellent job with dialog. I suspected something was up fairly soon, but what it was escaped me.

Not sure if this was just me, but I was thrown by the introduction of "I" so many paragraphs into the story (maybe it wasn't that many - but anyway...) - I had to go back to try to figure out who was speaking. Just figured I'd mention it.

Great title - actually, just GREAT!
06/02/08
Beautifully written. You describe so well the intricacies and the sadness of having a loved one with Alzheimer's disease. My dad still recognizes me, and though I dread the day that he may not, I know in my heart that he'll always be my special dad. Lovely story.
06/02/08
I had to smile at the milk with ice cubes (my husband drinks it that way). :) Your story is excellent, poignant, and very well-written.
Voice, dialogue and descriptions combine to make a touching story of love. Superb!
Alzheimers is such a horrible disease, and you really did a good job of showing the effects that the disease has on the family members of those affected by it.

A very interesting way of taking the cousin topic and adding a twist to it. I enjoyed reading this sad, but realistic, story.
I loved Sir Rodney's patience.
Funny how all the cousins were from Kansas-nice touch-great title.

Well done, endearing and heart tugging-thanks for the story.
06/05/08
Congratulations on 2ND PLACE!!!!
I'm doin' a happy dance for you, girl!!!!
Congratulations Sheri, awesome job 2nd Place AND an EC Award. You rock girl!
Congratulations, Sheri! Your article was awesome and deserved to win. 2nd place and an EC! Many blessings, Cheri
06/05/08
Beautifully done Sheri! The dialogue is fantastic. Congratulations!
Congratulations, Sheri. Woo-hoo!
Oh, I suspected he wasn't really a cousin, but the last line still made me almost cry. Well done and well deserved EC.
06/05/08
Yeah Sheri!! Well done on a heart-touching story.
06/06/08
Congratulations Sheri! What an outstanding picture of what Alheimer's is like. My mother has it so I know it on a daily basis too. What a tender and caring take on it too. Thank you for sharing it.
06/06/08
Congratulations on a well-deserved win! The ending brought tears to my eyes. My husband went through the exact same thing with his mother - only she reached a point where she didn't know him at all - as son or cousin or uncle. On one visit she mistook him for her husband. You captured the frustrations and pain of this horrible disease to a tee.
06/07/08
Absolutely excellent. Congratulations on the EC.
06/07/08
Beautiful story, both heart breaking and yet touching at the same time. Wonderful conclusion.
06/07/08
HI - I like this story - excellent writing and dialogue.
06/08/08
What a sad story. How painful it is when a loved one's mind goes. This son was very compassionate to let his Mom pretend. You told this story well, climaxing it like you did, letting the reader believe, with the lady, that her cousin had come, and then revealing who the real "Rodney" was...Congratulations on your second place win. You deserved it...Helen
06/20/11
This is so good.