The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1764 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
I enjoyed the story--thought the last line ended it perfectly.
08/31/07
Nice article. I've been in places here in the states that have people drive like that--namely the city I live.

Really enjoyed this. Great lesson.
09/01/07
Oh yes, the last line clinged it! I really enjoyed this lighthearted look at total complete fear - my mother was one of these drivers who did not want to drive ... but had too.

Really good atmosphere of another culture and land - you put us right there fearing the dreaded 'stick shift!' *shudder* I have embarassingly done a few of the things you have mentioned so kudos on an 'out of the box' take on the topic.
09/01/07
A lot of fun reading this. You have the ability to make the ready both laugh, and empathize at the same time.
Whether it was based on your own experience or not, it felt very real, and made me remember some of the horrors of learning to cope with city traffic in my day.
09/01/07
A lot of fun reading this. You have the ability to make the reader both laugh and empathize at the same time.
Whether it was based on your own experience or not, it felt very real, and made me remember some of the horrors of learning to cope with city traffic in my day.
09/01/07
Cute - love your little poem at the end. Your storytelling was great - you had me hanging on every word, and giggling here and there for good measure!
09/02/07
Oh, can I ever relate to the stick shift thing. My Dad bought me a Volkswagen standard, gave me one lesson in how to shift from first to 3rd, then followed me to the highway. I did fine driving from Columbus on the interstate, but what to do once I got off? And, on a steep hill at that. It was totally embarrassing to have my Dad have to get in my car at the stop sign, and drive me onto the street. Needless to say, I learned the hard way how to drive a standard. Great writing to illustrate your fear!
09/02/07
What I loved most about this piece was the epiphany. There are so many things we do because of pressure from within or without, that we really were not required to do... and because of it..counselors can charge big bucks! I love stories when the lesson comes full circle like this...to just be YOU! and enjoy it... Can be a lesson for all of us.. thanks for your epiphany... Now.. do I REALLY need to fly?? YUK
A fear phobia of any kind must be very hard to deal with. "Getting Off" sounds like the answer to me.
09/03/07
Delightful, and yet I totally empathized! I'm the exact opposite when it comes to driving with other people, though. I have to be the one in the driver's seat!
09/04/07
Quite an accomplishment--you both communicated utter terror and made the reader smile along with you. What a marvelous piece!
Yep, I've been there! Got violently ill when driving the interstate on ice for miles and miles trying to follow my husband who was driving his car ahead of me. We were bringing my mother from Indiana to Mississippi to live with us when the ice storm hit. You've described the fear perfectly! Great job!
09/07/07
My dear Lynda, we are truly kindred spirit sisters. I've also traveled the world and never needed a driver's license. You can imagine how much I identify with your story. I would be sick, too. That you were willing to push yourself by getting a license is a tribute to your trust in God. I'm glad you came through the "test" and realized driving was not the will of God for you. I'm glad I came looking to thank you for leaving a comment on my "confused" entry. I appreciated it, and I really enjoyed finding your story.
09/11/07
I like the way your piece avoids the well-worn injunction of face up to your fear and overcome it. Your opting for public transport makes for a lot of sense. Reminds me of the first time I came out to Africa. I had learned to drive a car in the UK although I had ridden motorbikes rather than cars for the previous couple of years. So when I went to pick up our new car I discovered that it had a handbrake that one pulled out from under the steering wheel rather than the type that one pulled up that I was used to. Moreover I had to reverse my new car out of the garage and up a steep driveway. I’m sorry to say that I stalled it several times on the way out, got myself into a complete panic over the handbrake, and ended up asking our host to finish the job for me!