The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1506 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/26/06
Lacking a "treasure" of money and possessions, the poor often have a "treasure of relationships", along with an appreciation of God and nature that the rich are too busy to care about. Sadly, our society values the wrong things. Thanks for bringing this to mind. Good story!
10/26/06
I felt like this story wrapped up too neatly and quickly - though I know the word count really hems you in. Maybe if you had left her thinking. I liked how she was looking around and seeing everything through new eyes.
10/28/06
How absolutely precious that that one little gesture, observed by your protagonist, was enough to turn her heart. That really touches me.
10/30/06
Very interesting take on the topic and I loved the way you told of her changing viewpoint. Great descriptions--I felt like I was really there. Just a few grammar things. (smile) Nicely done!
11/01/06
I would tend to agree with another comment that the change of heart was too abrupt, but then again, the word limit does make it difficult. I liked particularly how you described all she now saw in the various people surrounding her and how she began to see that, regardless of their poverty, they were just people living their lives. It's a simple message, but nonetheless a powerful one that we all seem to lose touch with from time to time. Thanks for the reminder.
11/01/06
Very interesting, albeit a bit abrupt. Thanks for posting.
I think Miriam learned her lesson. Good job, this was interesting to read.
We often forget how fortunate we are until we see those who are not. This was a good read. Thank you for sharing it.
11/04/06
An enchanting story that challenges the reader through the heart of the writer as much as the experiences of the characters.