The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 2492 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
10/20/06
OOOOOOH! What a great twist!
Very well written, truly master's quality stuff.
10/21/06
I had to go back and reread! This was great! I had a "huh?" moment the first time you mentioned the choir but definitely got it at the end. Creative piece. Well done!
10/23/06
A great take on the topic. I liked how you developed your story and the twist at the end. The italicized portion was exceptionally well done. Finally, the detail of the golden nugget was a "brilliant" way to end this wonderful story. Very nice work!
10/24/06
Awesome! Knew where you were going from "gated community" and "choir," but it didn't take away from the twist one bit. Enjoyed every word, as always.
10/24/06
Whoa! Awesome! I took me about 20 seconds to figure out the ending and everything. I actually had to read a couple of the comments before I realized that you were referring to Heaven. (I have been accused of being dense before. ;)
Masterful descriptions. I felt as though I was riding on the officer's shoulder during his walk. Great job!
10/24/06
If I hadn't read all the comments first, I probably would have been one of 'those' who didn't catch on so quickly.

What an awesome story! I loved it! This has got to be perfect.

Great stuff Jan! :)
I loved this, although I have to admit I'm dense as well. Took me a minute or two to figure it out, but it held my attention from the beginning. It's very entertaining and well written.
10/24/06
Wonderful and unique take on the topic! I guessed the 'whereabouts' when he was talking to the former little girl. Very entertaining and great writing!
10/24/06
Wow...that's all I can say. I didn't even realize the ending was coming until it hit me. Then I had to re-read it to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

Amazing...
10/24/06
I'm one of those that didn't get the 'aha' moment until the shiny stone flew in the air... and then what a great 'aha'! Loved it.
10/24/06
Brilliant last paragraph, Jan! Loved the whole thing.
10/24/06
A brilliant story!!!!! Once I got the ending, I re-read this masterpiece with that knowledge and was blown away. Superb. God bless.
Wowee! I hardly know what to say except that I think I just read the "winner". Incredible writing, Jan, with such creativity. I'm reading and taking note as a student would to the work they aspire to write. Very well done.
Excellent story writing. It left me satisfied, yet wanting more. I loved it!
WOW - ! Incredible! The first reference to the choir made me scratch my head, but then as I kept going I figured out what you were up to. Glad you cinched it at the end w/ the nugget from the streets of gold! Exceptional writing, I'd say. :-)
10/26/06
CONGRATULATIONS on your win! This is incredibly masterful! I haven't done a lot of reading this week, but I'm glad I took the time to read this! You inspire me with your realistic voice and creativity. Incredible! Your win is well-deserved! God bless! :)
10/26/06
What a fantastic entry, Jan. Many congratulations.
10/27/06
Sucked me right in, Jan, until he met the teenager and then the pennies began to drop. Well done. An enjoyable read with authentic voices. Yeggy
10/27/06
I also didn't "get it" till the end - but it was WONDERFUL all the way through - and even better when I got it!! Congrats on your win too, Jan! Loved it!
02/16/07
Jan, I just had to comment, even though this is months after the writing. This is awesome! I clued in very gradually to where the story was headed, but LOVED the nugget throwing! A very beautifully sculpted story.