FaithWriters.com news and information for the write-brained Christian!
"Wise men and women are always learning, always listening for fresh insights." – Proverbs 18:15 (MSSG)
For many of us, September represents back-to-school. If you're a parent, you know the joy of watching your child(ren) learn. It's amazing to see their brains in action, isn't it? In between the meltdowns over tough math problems, that is.
And learning shouldn't end with high school or college graduation. God has gifted us with minds more powerful than any computer. And He loves to watch us use those minds to the best of our ability. Never lose the desire for knowledge. There's certainly no shortage on things to learn!
Be sure to read the Out of the Mouths of FaithWriters section at the end of this newsletter to see what some of our members had to say about their favorite subjects in school.
THE WRITING CHALLENGE
Speaking of learning, one way to stretch those brain cells is to use them in new and challenging ways. A fun way to do that is by entering the Weekly Writing Challenge. The Challenge sparks creativity, and challenges you to write to a specific topic, a deadline, and a word count. Here's how it works:
Check out the current topic, then let it percolate in your mind for a little while, as you come up with a unique angle for a story, essay, or poem. Write out your idea in Word, then let it sit for at least a few hours or overnight. Then come back to it and edit it a bit, and possibly send it to a trusted friend or two to look your entry over and offer feedback. Then polish it up. Copy and paste it into the entry box, check it over, and hit the submit button. That's it!
Entries are judged not only for technical excellence, but also for originality. So use those creative brains God gave you and come up with something good!
Besides all the wonderful feedback you'll receive from other members (which helps you grow in your craft), you could even win ratings feedback from the judges (grow even more!). And…the top 10 Editor's Choice winners will have an opportunity to be published in one of our quarterly anthologies (Bonus!) And if you come out on top, you will win a CASH prize (Double Bonus!)
If you are a Gold or Platinum member, you are eligible for the Weekly Writing Challenge. So what are you waiting for? Enter today! Click here for complete guidelines and to check out this week's topic: http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php
If you're not yet a Gold or Platinum member, visit this link to see all of the wonderful benefits you receive when you upgrade your account: http://www.faithwriters.com/finish-signup.php
BIG IMPROVEMENTS HAPPENING FOR THE FAITHWRITERS E-BOOK STORE
The FaithWriters e-book store is one of our best kept secrets! Of course, this is a secret we want to tell, and we'd love for you to pass on to your friends. Plus there are BIG improvements underway. Here are just a few -
· If your book is on SmashWords you can now link it to your FaithWriters e-book listing. This will allow the buyer to download your book in any format. Just go to our store and click manage books, edit and then enter your SmashWords URL where requested. This same option will soon be available if your book is on Amazon.
· We now offer all of the Christian Best Sellers, Bibles, CD's and so much more through Amazon and Christianbooks.com. These items will attract many more shoppers. Members' books will be featured as Exclusive Books from Up and Coming Christian Authors. The store is being modified to blend members' books with best sellers.
· If your book is priced at $0 the buyer now avoids PayPal and is able to download their choice immediately.
· Once the improvements are completed we will be heavily promoting the bookstore to bring in more outside buyers and peak the interest of FaithWriters substantial traffic flow.
Did you know you can buy and/or sell e-books right from the FaithWriters site? And if you're a Platinum member, you can sell up to five books for FREE!
BUYERS: There are many excellent books to choose from, in various categories. Here are just a few, including a couple on Writing that you may be interested in:
· Gravity…True for You, but Not for Me by Michael Edwards (FREE download) http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/ebook-details.php?id=684
· Writing is Not for Wimps! by Lynda Lee Schab http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/ebook-details.php?id=750
· Bring Your Writing to Life by Amy Michelle Wiley http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/ebook-details.php?id=727
· Crumbs from the Master's Table by Jesus Puppy (Poetry) http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/ebook-details.php?id=301
· The 11:45 Call by Brenda Blakely (End Times) http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/ebook-details.php?id=740
· Into Thy Word by Richard Krejcir (Biblical Studies) http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/ebook-details.php?id=38
· Lemondrop: The Beginning by Gerald Shuler (Children's books) http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/ebook-details.php?id=587
Check out the complete selection of e-books here: http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/index.php
SELLERS: For a small monthly fee, you can sell your e-books and retain 100% of the sale from books downloaded directly from our site. (no extra hidden costs!) Payments are made directly to your PayPal account. You also have the option to offer your SmashWords link so the buyer can purchase your book in any format. This feature will soon be available if your book is on Amazon. And remember, Platinum members can list up to five e-books absolutely FREE! For more information, visit our Sellers page: http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/authors-learn-more.php
BLOGGING CONTEST Save a life now and for eternity while you hone our writing skills.
Have you entered the Dying for Water blogging contest yet? If you're not familiar with this contest, you'll definitely want to check it out!
Recently, we announced the beginning of a series of contests, where you basically blog for prizes. Besides honing your craft and the potential to win cool prizes, you'll be helping to spread the word about fabulous ministries that promote the gospel of Jesus Christ! If your article is selected as the winner, you could win paid writing opportunities, publication in 100+ blogs, and/or a FaithWriters membership upgrade. Not to mention the treasure you'll be building in heaven! If you'd like to participate in the Dying for Water blogging contest, which runs through September 17 and helps provide clean drinking water to those who need it, you can find out everything you need to know here: http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=35645
FaithWriters 2013 Writers Conference
Will be held in Portland, OR on June 28th and 29th. Keep your eyes open for more details.
OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF FAITHWRITERS
Last month, you were asked the following question, to celebrate the September "back to school" season.
WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE SUBJECT IN SCHOOL AND WHY?
Suspecting you won't be too surprised by some of the answers:
"I could say my favorite subject was recess, but that would be only partially true. It was my love affair with English that launched me into a writer's world, and placed recess in second place." – Lillian
"My favorite subject was reading...I couldn't get enough of it. I attended a Christian school, and part of the fascination with reading had to do with the Bible." - C D Swanson
"English, because we were taught to read wonderful books and stories. Of course, there was some sentence diagramming. Yuck!" - Patsy
"For me it has to be Art. Being creative and saying to myself, 'I did that,' was rewarding." - Ralph Jackson
"History. One massive story unfolding up until this very moment. Intrigue, drama, romance, horror, mystery. The richest of characters, the vilest of villians, the most unlikely of heroes." – Sarah Kidd
"My favorite subject in school has always been Biology. It gives me chills every time I learn something else Biology teaches me about God's incredibly creative and bizarre, original creation!" – Bill
"My favorite subjects were lunch and recess (seriously).'Nuf said." - Lollie Hofer
NEXT MONTH'S QUESTION:
In continuing with the "learning" theme, answer this question:
WHAT IS THE BEST PIECE OF WRITING ADVICE YOU'VE RECEIVED?
Send your 1-2 sentence response to [email protected]. Check back next month to see if your answer was selected to appear.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT. YOU ARE A BLESSING!