FaithWriters.com and Breath of Fresh Air Press are pleased to announce the eleventh annual Page Turner Writing Contest. If you are a member of the FaithWriters Platinum 500, you are invited to enter this very special contest created just for you.
Maybe you’ve got a half-written manuscript gathering dust in the bottom of your wardrobe. Perhaps it’s something you wrote during NaNoWriMo last year. It could even be an idea that’s been brewing in the back of your mind for years. Whatever the stage of your manuscript, this contest is the spur you need to write and polish-and we will give you until the end of September to get your entry ready.
Sound good? Well, here’s what you need to do:
1. Write, edit and polish at least one chapter of your manuscript. You may seek professional editing input to polish your chapter.
2. Prepare a book proposal, including such things as the synopsis or book overview, the target reader (e.g. adult/young adult/women/new adult, etc.), the genre, similar books already on the market, and what makes your book different. Think of this as your pitch to a publisher. In other words, be concise, clear, and attention grabbing.
3. When you have a book overview and a polished first chapter, combine the two as one Word or RTF document (book overview first, followed by the chapter), and you’re all set to enter the 2017 Page Turner Contest.
This year, there will be one Page Turner champion-the highest rated entry overall, chose from either the Fiction or Nonfiction categories. This one champion will win:
1. A fabulous cash prize of $400 (US);
2. The offer of traditional publication of their winning manuscript by Breath of Fresh Air Press (which includes editing of the manuscript, if published by Breath of Fresh Air Press);
3. Free publicity and marketing of their book on all FaithWriters’ sites for twelve months following publication; and
Two Page Turner runners up will be chosen (one from each of the two categories-fiction and nonfiction). Each runner up will receive:
1. Two x one-hour, live online, mentoring sessions with Deb Porter through Finesse Writing and Editing Service.
2. Consideration for possible publication by Breath of Fresh Air Press
* Please see terms and conditions at this link.
Brief feedback on your entry by Deb Porter (Breath of Fresh Air Press) will be available after the contest is concluded. However, this feedback will only be provided at the entrant’s request (which should be indicated by checking the appropriate box on the entry form). Many people enter the Page Turner purely for this very helpful feedback.
WHAT CAN YOU WRITE ABOUT?
Once again, we’ve thrown the door wide open, with entry open to both fiction and nonfiction writers; however, your book should be suitable for Christian readers. Other than that, let your creativity and passion be your guide. We will be looking for the freshest fiction and nonfiction concepts with the greatest page turning appeal and publishing potential.
Chapter books for children are acceptable for entry; however, picture books do not suit the Page Turner concept.
We also regret that poetry collections do not suit the Page Turner concept. However, novels written in creative free verse are acceptable.
There is not a set word count for Page Turner submissions, but keep in mind that entries will include the first chapter only and a succinct book proposal. So although your finished manuscript may end up being the size of Gone with the Wind, don’t try and cram it all into the opening chapter.
So, what are you waiting for? You still have until SEPTEMBER 30, 2017, to prepare your entry. GET BUSY!